SOLVED FAT and extFAT differences ?

Reaction score
Hi, I have to format a pendrive to FAT.

W10 askes me to format to either extFAT or NTFS.

Are extFAT and FAT the same ?

Thanks

Reaction score
The only issue is that usually FAT32 is required for some booting, the MCT/Media Creation Tool wipes the drive and reformats as FAT32. Windows has a limit of 32GB drive or partition size for FAT32 and single file size of 4GB, exFAT doesn't. My last 2 4TB External USB HDDs came as exFAT so as to be usable on PC or Mac, mentioned on the package/box, Mac has issues with writing NTFS drives.

Reaction score
In short; FAT has limits like Bighorn mentioned. Later on FAT32 started showing its limits. So exFAT was designed to continue cross-platform compatibility without the previous limitations in FAT and FAT32.

Reaction score
The only format utility that doesn't allow for max partition size is Windows built in format feature.

Reaction score
The only format utility that doesn't allow for max partition size is Windows built in format feature.
Right, I frequently use GPARTED [GNOME Partition Editor] LiveCD or now LiveUSB which runs on a 'lite' version of Linux. Both are bootable and work outside of Windows, have created a FAT32 HDD at 500GB, Windows uses it fine. In fact, I just used the USB version to verify what my 3-month-old Notebook has for a drive and what partitions are on it.

Reaction score
Right, I frequently use GPARTED [GNOME Partition Editor] LiveCD or now LiveUSB which runs on a 'lite' version of Linux. Both are bootable and work outside of Windows, have created a FAT32 HDD at 500GB, Windows uses it fine. In fact, I just used the USB version to verify what my 3-month-old Notebook has for a drive and what partitions are on it.
Why don't you try Ventoy? It does not require any complicated process of handling and processing of individual ISO files. Just Install Ventoy on a USB flash drive. Then simply add /delete/ replace individual ISO files directly with ANY file manager. Works like a charm.

Ask a Question