SOLVED Fatal and Permanent Windows 10 crash

Reaction score
About two weeks ago, on my HP Desktop computer, I noticed a couple of strange reactions to one of my apps, LibreOffice. When I tried to access anything, writer, calc, etc., a message would pop up stating that the computer had crashed. If I responded by pressing almost any keyboard key, the desired program would open. As the days went on, the computer slowed to a crawl, took several minutes to start, and just did not react normally.
I tried to restore it to an earlier date, but that failed. There were no restore points.
Eventually, I gave up and decided to do a complete computer reset. It had been some time since I did this so I thought it would be good for the computer anyway.
Everything appeared to be going along nicely up till near the end. A message popped up stating the reset had failed and I should try again. Each time I started the computer the same message would pop up and that is the state the computer is in at this time.
When I start the computer, it appears to start normally but then up pops that #&^% message.
I can access BIAS and it looks to be quite normal.
I have not a clue as to what happened, why it happened, or even exactly when it happened. I know where it happened but that doesn't help at all. The computer is dead as a doorknob.
I would like to get things back in order but do not know how to proceed. Is there some way to do this? I am on the verge of calling in a computer tech but thought I would ask here first.
Thanks for reading.
jrj

Desktop
Windows 10 - Home
HP 24-b270nj
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700T CPU @ 2.90GHz, 2901 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 12.0 GB
2 TB hard dsik
ssd SanDisk SD8SMAT-128G-1006

Reaction score
About two weeks ago, on my HP Desktop computer, I noticed a couple of strange reactions to one of my apps, LibreOffice. When I tried to access anything, writer, calc, etc., a message would pop up stating that the computer had crashed. If I responded by pressing almost any keyboard key, the desired program would open. As the days went on, the computer slowed to a crawl, took several minutes to start, and just did not react normally.
I tried to restore it to an earlier date, but that failed. There were no restore points.
Eventually, I gave up and decided to do a complete computer reset. It had been some time since I did this so I thought it would be good for the computer anyway.
Everything appeared to be going along nicely up till near the end. A message popped up stating the reset had failed and I should try again. Each time I started the computer the same message would pop up and that is the state the computer is in at this time.
When I start the computer, it appears to start normally but then up pops that #&^% message.
I can access BIAS and it looks to be quite normal.
I have not a clue as to what happened, why it happened, or even exactly when it happened. I know where it happened but that doesn't help at all. The computer is dead as a doorknob.
I would like to get things back in order but do not know how to proceed. Is there some way to do this? I am on the verge of calling in a computer tech but thought I would ask here first.
Thanks for reading.
jrj

Desktop
Windows 10 - Home
HP 24-b270nj
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700T CPU @ 2.90GHz, 2901 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 12.0 GB
2 TB hard dsik
ssd SanDisk SD8SMAT-128G-1006

Reaction score
If you don't have a Windows 10 DVD, buy a USB stick, then go here and download the Media Creation tool. Run the tool on a working Windows computer and it will walk you through the procedure of creating a bootable Windows 10 installation stick that you can use to reinstall Windows on the problem computer.

Ben

Reaction score
Well I am back up and running. I used a startup method I obtained from the Internet.
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Ask a Question