Forgottan Password

Reaction score
I have forgot my password I have been trying all day to remember and I'll put in thousands of passwords (it sure felt like) but I can't seem to remember what it was. I had the desktop computer about 6 months ago I used it for about a month and then I'll be reverted back to my iPad. I haven't used it since and now I can't remember my password at all. Please can you show me how to wirher bypass this or change it. Can anyone please help me get into my computer.
Thanks Maxine

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you tried leaving it empty / blank?
Do you see anything under the password box suggesting a "hint"? Does that provide any insight as to what password you might have used?

Getting around a password issue with Windows 10 is doable, but requires a fair amount of tech ability and might be best handled by a tech with some experience in the matter.

There are a number of third party programs that may help. Some free, some commercial (paid) options.

You might be able to rescue your computer by enabling the normally hidden / disabled Administrator account and use that to possibly fix the password problem on your local user account.
You'll need to boot from the installation media. If you do not have the installation media on hand you can download the ISO from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to boot your computer.
THEN...
Follow the steps outlined here
http://pureinfotech.com/2015/11/20/how-reset-windows-10-forgotten-password-regain-access-computer/

Another option that I have used successfully is a third party software boot disk.
http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

NOTE.... IF the computer is UEFI with "Secure boot" enabled, I don't believe you will be able to boot from the CD you create from the ISO (Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor, Bootdisk / CD, the pogostick link immediately above) unless you enter the System Setup Utility (BIOS) and turn off Secure Boot and change the boot option from UEFI to Legacy or UEFI + Legacy or UEFI + MBR depending on what's avaialble and how robust your BIOS might be (if it even supports changing turning off secure boot, some newer ones do not.

Reaction score
Years ago, I read that the best way to remember a password is to get away from your computer for a while. Later, try every password you can think of.

Here's a PC World video on how to restore your password. If that doesn't work, type "forgot my Windows 10 password" into a search engine and check the solutions.

And don't despair. MS made getting past a forgotten password easier than it used to be.

Ask a Question