Hard drive cloning with bad sectors

Reaction score
So here's where I'm at so far.

My hard drive started clicking a few days ago, sounds like the heads slamming home away from the platters.

I've unsuccessfully run CHKDSK /F under Windows 10.

Then used Clonezilla to clone to my new 1tb drive (same as the failing drive). The Ubuntu 16.10 partition is working fine as well as Grub. My windows partition tries to boot but fails to automatically repair.

So, I put my old drive back in and created a recovery flash drive hoping to use it to repair the MBR. All I get from windows is Drive is locked, and something about unlocking it.

I've tried to clone it a couple more times using different programs, with about the same results.

I guess my next step is to attempt to mark the bad sectors as good and hope it holds together long enough to get the rest of my data off the drive. But i'm not sure how, and I've looked all over, but nothing seems to be exactly what I need.

The most frustrating thing is that my old drive still boots, you'd think a clone would would boot also minus some already unreadable information on the bad sectors...

I don't have a spare copy of Windows so a clean install is not something I can get done in the next couple days...

Reaction score
Hi, I am sorry to hear that.
So here the situation that you've encountered: the old hard drive boots but you cannot clone it to a new disk and boot successfully due to the bad sectors. Following are some of my thoughts, hope any of them can help you out.
1. ...uh, what cloning program did you use? Once I used AOMEI Backupper to clone hard drive with bad sectors and it worked. Maybe you can give it a shot.
2. Copy all contents (important files) in WinPE mode. Many software, like aforementioned one, allows you to create a bootable USB drive, and you can copy these files out and backup the system image and then restore it to the new disk.
3. You said you don't have a spare copy of Windows. As far as I am concerned, you are allowed to download Windows 7, 8, 10 ISO file from their official website. As for the product key, it seems like connecting with the motherboard or other hardware, just not the storage device.
4. The MBR repair issue you mentioned can also be solved with some partition managers. Many tutorials on the Internet illustrate this problem. Go and search one.
Kind Regards.

Ask a Question