Anyone used a 4TB hard drive in a disk caddy?

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently using a 2TB hard in a disk caddy to backup (with EaseUs software) using incremental backups but my disk is getting full (I have a lot of graphics and video files). I'm thinking of buying a 4TB hard drive to use in the caddy - I use a caddy so I can keep my backup drive elsewhere in case of burglary etc.

I've read that Win 10 can't 'see' more than 2TB, and so a 4TB drive would have to be setup using something called GPT rather then the normal MBR format.

My main worry is that Windows may not be able to see it because it's in a caddy - so I'll be left with an expensive 2Tb drive... Is anyone using a GPT-formatted 4TB successfully in a caddY

Also, can I keep my other drives as MBR?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Well if your running win 10 you should be also running UEFI GPT already your self. If not I'm not sure on an External drive with a 32bit system I use WD Passports 4 TB with no issues. I just looked it up and sure enough, it is in GPT NTFS, The 2 TB limitation has to do with MBR BIOS set up I would buy the drive and see if windows doesn't automatically create a GPT disk out of it If not you can use diskpart to Convert it to GPT or any partition program like Mini Tool partition wizard to convert it. there is no reason you shouldn't be able to use all 4 TB at worst you may have to manually set it up.
Mostly the 2 TB limit is for Booting OS Systems data drives have been ok for more than 2 TB for quite some time

Reaction score
If you format the 4TB drive as GPT, you have nothing to worry even if your PC is not UEFI. MBR can only do max 2TB. I have a few 3 and 4TB drives in external casings and they are formatted as GPT (Device manager of Windows can do that).

Reaction score
Gotta make a correction: above I wrote Device manager can create GPT partitions.
The correct one is the Disk manager

Ask a Question