Since replacing my SSDD my other hard drives aren't accessible

Reaction score
Hi there,
My original SSDD crashed and I replaced it. I am using Windows 10 Pro 64 with the latest build and updates (always update) and after I loaded a clean version of Windows 10 Pro the other hard drives (not SSDD's) have been acting weird... I get pop-ups like "the Recycle Bin on H: is corrupt, do you want to empty it?" multiple times for multiple hard drives. The other 9 hard drives are for storage of video files (TS Folders mostly) as I convert peoples old analogue videos to digital or DVD.
Now - I always hang on to the TS Folders for clients (til I run out of room then I need to delete a few) and when I access these TS folders I can see all the files inside but the VOB files no longer display an image - just the blank icon. I change the extension from .VON to .mpg and when I play these .mpg files all I get is audio - no video. I'm talking literally hundreds and hundred of client files TS folders - none of which I can use right now - so if a client calls and says they've misplaced or damaged a disc I CAN'T make them replacement DVD's.
I've gone into Sharing and made sure I have access to the files AND have all the permissions set to 'Full Control' but it still won't let me see video nor show any images instead of the white icon.
PLUS - this NEW SSDD pc no longer talks to my other Windows 10 PC that's sitting right beside it - which wasn't the case prior to changing SSDD's and reloading Windows. Both PC's are running the same software - Win 10 Pro 64 - latest build
Any suggestions on how I can make these files workable again would be appreciated.
SSDD Issue.jpg

Reaction score
I've just conducted a quick test - I transferred a TS folder that is virtually unreadable on the new SSDD PC to another Windows 10 PC and all the files are readable and viewable and the VOB files have icons - like they used to have on the NEW SSDD PC... so it's the new installation of Windows 10 that is giving me the issue - the files were not corrupted during the re & re...

Reaction score
Update: It was suggested that I transfer ALL the files from the NEW SSDD pc to the second machine - also running an SSDD with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and then reformat the NEW SSDD hard drive, which I did. It took 4.5 hours to transfer 2.8 TB's of TS folders from the NEW SSDD machine to the older SSDD machine. The files played & displayed properly on the older SSDD machine. I reformatted the NEW machines storage drive and transferred a few of the files BACK to it and they STILL don't play or display properly. It has to be something with the way Windows 10 on the NEW SSDD machine is handling these files.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Both PC's are running the same software - Win 10 Pro 64 - latest build
I loaded a clean version of Windows 10 Pro
The image indicating the file icons on your new drive is something that I would expect to see if you didn't have the third party software installed on your new installation of Windows 10 that is required to play DVD files.

Reaction score
Hmmmm... the only 3rd Party Software I had on the previous ssd (for creating and playing DVD files) and on the other pc is Pinnacle Studio 21 Ultimate... and it was loaded last week.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Makes sense, so....
When you check Settings -> Apps -> Default Apps -> Choose default apps by file type (link near the bottom)
Scrolling down to .vob you find that Pinnacle is listed there as the default file type handler??

Reaction score
Actually no - the default was WMP... then I installed VLC and it is now the default app

Ask a Question