Since the install of the new Windows 10, one of my USB ports has stopped working

Reaction score
Using a Toshiba Satellite 64-bit laptop, 8mg memory, 2T hard drive, Windows 10, latest version after a ten day download and install.

I use a marble mouse that hooks to a USB port. I HATE the touchpad and keep it disabled. My mouse no longer works on the USB port where it's always been connected. It does work on the other USB port. I've tried other USB connections in that port and it's not just the mouse. It seems that the port has been disabled somehow. Windows 10 Update in it's infinite wisdom, no doubt. I can say that because it reset all the fonts back to the tiny print that is unreadable unless I use a magnifying glass and turned back on my touch screen which I always keep turned off . The touch screen interfered with the mouse operation, including the touchpad. After I solved that problem on my own, I've run into this problem and I'm stumped. Why couldn't they leave settings alone????

So my basic question is how do I turn this USB port back on? I looked in the device manager but didn't find anything referring to USBs that were disabled. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
By any chance is the port that's not working a USB3 port? Some people are reporting that Windows 10 updates are messing with USB3 drivers. I would go to the Toshiba site and download the motherboard drivers for your laptop. They should include a USB3 driver. Unless they have a seperate driver on that site just for USB3.

Reaction score
Hi morlaine,

have you also changed the battery, WiFi mice eat them at a fast rate and stop them from working correctly!. :)

Reaction score
I don't have a wi-fi mouse. It is a Marble Mouse, the kind you lay your hand on top of and move the ball (marble) with your fingers. It plugs into the USB port with a cord. The USB port has stopped working. The mouse works fine when plugged into a different USB port. And according to my PC Health Monitor my battery is fine.

And it is a USB2, not a USB3 port. And yes, I just installed the latest Windows Update. And what a nightmare that was. It raises my blood pressure just to think about it. It took twelve days of my life that I will never get back. And there goes my blood pressure.

When I disabled the touch pad, there was a button to push that disabled it. Might there be a button somewhere that would Enable this USB port? If so where would that be?
Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
I've been nosing around and ended up in Device Manager. Bear in mind, I'm not sure what I'm looking at but I thought it might make sense to someone. The Device Manager shows two USB Input Devices. In the Properties and Events, one shows Started and the other shows as Not Started. I attached a couple of screen prints.

Attachments

• 20180405 Device Manager Showing USB that shows not started1.JPG
    20180405 Device Manager Showing USB that shows not started1.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 473
  • 20180405 Device Manager USB Properties Events shows as not started1.JPG
    20180405 Device Manager USB Properties Events shows as not started1.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 492
Reaction score
I still think it's a driver issue. I have the same message that you have in your second photo pertaining to my monitor. I never updated the driver and just let Windows 10 install a generic monitor driver. You either need to install your motherboard drivers or the driver for your marble mouse. My first guess would be the mother board drivers.

Reaction score
I spent a good part of yesterday updating the drivers on any device that gave me the option to update drivers. The motherboard was one and it had the most current drivers. And it is the USB port that is the problem. The mouse works fine in the other USB2 port. And the mouse has the most current driver also.

And how does Windows install a generic driver? I thought rebooting would cause it to happen. I've rebooted any number of times and as far as I know it hasn't installed anything new. Obviously not, since I just made those screen prints.

Not having that port is a real pain as I frequently use both at the same time.

Reaction score
Go back into Control Panel as you were in the first picture that you listed above. Right click on each one of the entries under Human Interface Devices. Left click on Properties in the box that pops up. Once in Properties some of those items will have a Power Management tab. Click on Power Management. Make sure there is not a check mark in Allow The Computer To Turn Off This Device To Save Power. See if that helps.

Ask a Question