SOLVED Chrome won't open since Windows 10 installed updates today

Reaction score
Updates installed today were Cumulative Update, Security Update and Software Removal Tool. All were successful.

I discovered that Chrome will no longer open. It was working fine prior to install of these updates.

I'm in Firefox right now. I have attached a screenshot of the window I get when I try to launch Chrome. I tried restarting but that didn't help.

Can anyone please help?

After posting I started Googling and I found the answer for me. I just downloaded Chrome, installed it (over the top of my existing Chrome) and now everything works.

If anyone else is having the same problem, someone else suggested that I run sfc /scannow so that might also work for someone.

Attachments

• google won't start.JPG
    google won't start.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 844
Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Generally, whenever I've had an issue with Chrome, I just go get the latest version and install it again over top of itself.
Always seems to work wonders for me.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Good that its working again for you.

My guess is that its entirely coincidental Google Chrome decided to throw that error the same day you updated windows as I've done the same update and Google Chrome is fine here.

One thing you could check is that the sidebyside registry key related to that error message has not somehow become corrupted by doing a simple reg query to check Data Values.
  • Right-click on Start
  • Left-click on Command Prompt (Admin)
  • When the User Account Control dialog appears click Yes
  • In the Command Prompt window type or copy & paste the following command:

Code:
    reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide\Winners\x86_policy.9.0.microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_none_02d0010672fd8219\9.0"

Press Enter key to execute the above command.

The result of this command will display something like sample image:

Untitled.png

You can see in this sample image that the (Default) has a Data value: 9.0.30729.9247

Some other Values are listed one of which is 9.0.30729.9247 which you can see just above (Default) in the sample image.

If the Data value for (Default) is not the same as the largest value in your listed results, this can trigger the error message you received today. To resolve this you would simply modify the (Default) Data value to contain the largest Value from the list of values present, then restart computer for the Registry change to take hold.

The image above shows the correct Data value is present, but lets suppose in the list of Values you saw 9.0.30729.9253 listed. That is larger than the current value. You'd then want to modify that key. To do that you'd enter the following command into the Command Prompt window:

Code:
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide\Winners\x86_policy.9.0.microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_none_02d0010672fd8219\9.0" /d 9.0.30729.9253

Press Enter key to execute command.

This will trigger an alert:

Value exists, overwrite(Yes/No)?

Type Y then press Enter key

Now simply close all open windows and reboot computer.

Reaction score
I thank you for this good information. I did get Chrome working by just installling over the top, but this information might come in handy and I will bookmark it so I can find it in the future.

Ask a Question