SOLVED unable to install apps since upgrading to windows 10

Reaction score
For some reason, when I go to the store and select an app and click on the "Install" button, I immediately get a notice that it is "working" along with a set of scrolling dots. However, nothing seems to really be happening. If I just walk away and come back in four hours, it looks the same and the app is not installed. This same thing happens no matter what apps I try to install from the Windows Store!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Check your date and time make sure that's OK
Check and make sure that your Windows Firewall is enabled.
IF you are using a third party security suite with a firewall component, make sure it allows for the Store app to be downloaded
Reset the Windows store cache (wsreset from the run dialog box).
Run the store troubleshooter from the troubleshooting applet in the control panel ->left column -> show all -> Windows Store Apps

Reaction score
Date and Time are accurate
Windows Firewall is enabled. Real Time and Cloud protection on.
I am not using third party security software.
I ran wsreset from the run dialog box. Not much happened that I could see. Command type window opened with a blinking cursor. Had a revolving halo for a moment.
Ran the store troubleshooter applet. It could not find a problem..

Regedit32

Reaction score
A couple of things worth a shot:
  • Go to Store
  • In top right corner right click Account icon and sign out
  • Right click Account icon and sign back in
  • See whether you can now proceed downloading apps

If makes no difference then:
  • Right-click on Start and select Task Manager
  • When Task Manager opens click the Services tab
  • Scroll to wuauserv (The Windows Update Service). If it is not stopped, right-click and select Stop
  • Close Task Manager
  • Open File Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows
  • In the Windows folder scroll down to locate SoftwareDistribution folder

Right-click on the SoftwareDistribution folder and either select Delete or if you prefer rename

If you chose rename then rename to SoftwareDistribution.old

• Close the File Manager and any other open programs.
  • Shutdown computer completely
  • Restart computer: as it restarts Windows will create a new SoftwareDistribution folder

Now see whether you can go to Store and download an app

Reaction score
Hi Regedit32. Your post gave me an idea. I went to the store as you instructed. I clicked on my account icon, but "sign out" was not among the available choices! I reasoned that this is because I have my computer set up with a password that logs me into my Microsoft account at the same time that it logs me onto my computer. So I reasoned that the only was to sign out of the store, was to sign out of my computer. So I just shut down my computer. Problem was, it wouldn't shut down!! It wouldn't restart!! I would get nothing from the start>power>shut down command at all. If I hit CTRL-ALT-DLT and called up task manager, and then used the power icon in the lower right corner, I could at least get it to try to shut down. I would get the orange screen and the scrolling circle of dots. But after about 3 - 5 minutes, the desktop would reappear. Same thing if I tried the Restart command in Task Manager. Then I tried to get on the internet to do a post here, and IE would not work. Neither would Edge! So I did a hard power off with the power button on my computer. After a five minute wait I powered it back up and after this reboot, guess what. IE and Edge work, and so does Store and I can now install apps!!! I generally leave this computer on and connected to the internet all the time. I put it to sleep when I am not using it, but by leaving it on, it keeps itself updated. But it seems that just like in the old days, it may be a good idea to completely shut it down and reboot it every once in a while. Some "stack" somewhere gets overloaded with stuff that it won't release, or resources are tied up, or something. Anyway, problem solved and your post led me down the path, so I am marking yours as the answer.
Thanks

Ask a Question