Unable to start Windows 10 on already installed Windows SSD (with software and data).

Reaction score
September 3, 2016

Objective: To restart Windows on the SSD#1 WITHOUT having to reinstall everything (Windows 10, all software, the data, etc.)

Remark: With the latest version of Xubuntu (Linux) installed on a USB key and updating, and also with the program "TestDisk" it was possible to recover the data. So data recovery is not the objective of this topic.

Since this problem has already emerged in the past (at least 5 times in the last years) and has never been solved, and it is very long and frustrating having to reinstall everything (Windows, all programs, data, etc.), there is certainly a solution to this problem that does not require a complete reinstallation (Windows, all programs, data, etc.) of the system.

Windows 10 can’t read the SSD#1. Just Linux is able to do that.

All hardware work.

────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

PC#1 (Main PC)

Main Computer (On which Windows 10 is installed and that does not start): PC#1

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z68_DELUXEGEN3/

Model: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3

BIOS: UEFI

Buy in: 2012

Operating System: Windows 10 Activated (W10EA): English version; 64-bit

Last Update: September 2016

Hard Disk Drive where Windows 10 is installed: SSD Crucial 512 GB (SSD#1)

────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

SSD#1 (normally on PC#1)

Windows 10 is installed on this SSD with software and data but we are no longer able to boot on it.

Partition Style (Disk Management of Windows 10): Probably GPT initially but it is possible that this was changed to MBR has a point.

This disk is no more accessible with Windows 10 (using PC#2)

PC#2 (We use this computer for the test and try to resolve the objective)

Test Computer (which has the same version of Windows and start correctly): PC#2

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_FORMULA/

Model: Asus Maximus Formula

BIOS: Legacy only

Buy in: 2008

Operating System: Windows 10 Activated (W10EA): English version; 64-bit

Last Update: Today (more recent than PC#1)

Hard Disk Drive where Windows 10 is installed: SSD SanDisk 256 GB (SSD#2)

SSD#2 (on PC#2)

Windows 10 is installed on this SSD with software and data and we are able to boot on it.

Partition Style (Disk Management of Windows 10): MBR

USB#1 (Flash Memory)

64GB with Xubuntu (Linux) system. We can boot on it. Have “TestDisk”, “GParted” on it.

SATA Port #3 on PC#2 (PC#2P#3)

We use this port for SSD#1 and all test.

To verify that the port and cables worked correctly we installed Linux on a Hard Disk Drive (HDD#3) (160GB) connected on that port.

Then we went into the BIOS and change the setting to boot (Linux) on the HDD#3. The operation is done without problem.

Hi,

Please READ THE OBJECTIVE. Before starting I would say that if you do not know what to do and not much said nothing. And say things like "reinstall everything" solves nothing because when the problem returns in the future we will still have everything installed what is a waste of time and requires no intellectual effort.

So here's the problem:

Probably a virus or malware cause a huge problem on PC#1. After reboot we have no access to Windows 10.

First the following message appear (on PC#1):

“INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICEs”

Test #1

Computer: PC#1

Hardware connected: Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard, Graphic Card, CDROM/DVD Reader

Hard Disk Drive Connected: SSD#1

Boot on Windows 10 DVD and try to “Repair” (“Troubleshoot\Advanced options\Startup Repair”) the SSD#1.

Like in 99% of time, Windows Repair don’t work. (Microsoft have no money to pay engineer/technician to create good troubleshooting software).

Test #2.1

Computer: PC#2

Try the free version of “Minitool Partition Wizard Free 9.1” (boot on CDROM) and trying “recover” the MBR or GPT. One other message appears when trying to boot on SSD#1 from PC#2 (same result on PC#1 – all test must be to do on PC#2 now because PC#1 in not easy accessible for the moment).

http://www.minitool.com/partition-manager/partition-wizard-home.html

Test #2.2

Now this one message appears if we try to boot from SSD#1 (Take at least 20 minutes before to appear):

“Windows Boot Manager”

“File: /windows\system32\winload.exe”

“Status: 0xc00000e9”

“Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred.

Nothing was write on SSD#1 except just by “Minitool Partition Wizard Free 9.1” when it tries to recover the MBR/GPT.

See the following images below:

Windows 10 - 1.09- Startup repair done – Booting

Windows 10 - 1.10- Startup repair done - Booting - Enter

Test #3

USB connected: USB#1

BIOS: Change setting of the BIOS to boot on USB flash stick.

When booting on USB#1, Xubuntu appear. If we try the program “TestDisk” we can see all programs, data on SDD#1. Was even possible to recover all data later connecting an external Hard Disk Drive (eHDD).

Again READ THE OBJECTIVE.

We want to be able to restart Windows 10 on SSD#1 WITHOUT to need to reinstall all (Windows, programs, data, etc.,)

This problem is interesting but it is very frustrating. It is certain that there is a solution but it demands specialized knowledge.

Since this problem happen again it would be wise to solve it now. This would help all the Windows community.

Xunbuntu - 1.03- TestDisk - Create log

Xunbuntu - 1.04- TestDisk - Select a media

Xunbuntu - 1.05- TestDisk - Select Partition Table Type

Xunbuntu - 1.06- TestDisk – Analyse

Xunbuntu - 1.07- TestDisk - Quick Search

Xunbuntu - 1.08- TestDisk - Structure OK

Xunbuntu - 1.09.1- TestDisk - Structure OK - Press P (list files)

Xunbuntu - 1.09.2- TestDisk - Structure OK - Press P (list files)

Test#4

Hard Disk Drive Connected: SSD#1 and SDD#2

BIOS: Set the BIOS to boot on SSD#2

We boot on SDD#2 and it takes time to see the Windows 10 menu appear.

If we run the “explorer.exe” Windows show “Local Disk” for SDD#1.

If we try to access this SDD#1, it takes a time and finally Windows show “HDD not accessible. The media is write protected”.

All the system (more often the access to HDD) is very slow when SDD#1 is connected. If we disconnect it, Windows have a good speed now.

Windows 10 - 4.01- Explorer.exe - HDD not accessible

Test#5

Try again what was done on Test#1 but this time on PC#2. Same result. Windows Repair don’t work.

Test #6

Boot again on “Windows 10” DVD but this time we choose the “Command Prompt” option (“Troubleshoot\Advanced options\Command Prompt”).

Try the following commands:

-1-

X:\Sources>diskpart

DISKPART> list disk

(Take at least 10 minutes before to see the below result – see screenshot)

Disk ### Status Size Free

Disk 0 Online 476 GB 2048 kB

-2-

DISKPART> list vol

Volume ### Ltr Label FS Type Size Status

Volume 0 D J-CENA-X64F UDF DVD-ROM 3756 MB Healthy

Volume 1 C --- RAW Partition 476 GB Healthy

-3-

DISKPART> select disk 0

DISKPART> list part

-4-

DISKPART> exit

X:\Sources>bcdedit /v

“The boot configuration data store could not be opened.

The system cannot find the file specified.

-5-

X:\Sources>chkdsk c : /f

« The type of the file is NTFS

Volume label is Disk1_Vol1

Stage 1: Examine base file system structure

770560 file reads processed

File verification completed

15089 large file records processed

0 bad file records processed

Stage 2: Examine file name linkage

9462520 index entries processed

Index verification completed

0 unindexed file scanned

Failed to transfer logged messages to the even log with status 50.

-6-

X:\Sources>sfc /scannow

There is a system repair pending… Restart Windows and run sfc again.

If we try to reboot on SDD#1, we received the same message than Test #2.2 above.

-7-

Try bootsec and bootsect command.

Windows 10 - 2.02.3- Diskpart (white background)

Windows 10 - 2.03.2- BcdEdit + Chkdsk (white backgroung)

Windows 10 - 2.04.2- sfc Scannow (white background)

Windows 10 - 2.05.2- bootrec (white background)

Here a resume to what I did until now:

WIndows 10 - 1.09- Startup repair done – Booting

WIndows 10 - 1.10- Startup repair done - Booting – Enter

WIndows 10 - 2.02.3- Diskpart (white background)

WIndows 10 - 2.03.2- BcdEdit + Chkdsk (white backgroung)

WIndows 10 - 2.04.2- sfc Scannow (white background)

WIndows 10 - 2.05.2- bootrec (white background)

Windows 10 - 4.01- Explorer.exe - HDD not accessible

Xunbuntu - 1.03- TestDisk - Create log

Xunbuntu - 1.04- TestDisk - Select a media

Xunbuntu - 1.05- TestDisk - Select Partition Table Type

Xunbuntu - 1.06- TestDisk - Analyse

Xunbuntu - 1.07- TestDisk - Quick Search

Xunbuntu - 1.08- TestDisk - Structure OK

Xunbuntu - 1.09.1- TestDisk - Structure OK - Press P (list files)

Xunbuntu - 1.09.2- TestDisk - Structure OK - Press P (list files)

Xunbuntu - 2.05- Boot-Info - URL

Xunbuntu - 3.01- gdisk - Wipe Out damage GPT

Reaction score
I may be speaking out of turn here, but I noticed that your thread has gone unanswered since Sept 3. First, have your resolved it? Second, I doubt if anyone is willing to read every single line of your submission, understand each of your 'tests' and then draw a conclusion.

If I understand it, your main problem is that Windows 10 doesn't see the SSD and boot. How about starting with your ASUS bios settings and let us know if the SSD is there and if it is the primary boot device? That is, if you have other drives installed.

Then if that is okay, have you tried booting from a Windows 10 installation media and does the drive show up during the install steps?

Reaction score
Hi,

I know my topic is very long but I wanted, to be clear, that guys see my problem and what I did. Maybe it’s too long for the “Twitter Generation”.

Here answer to your questions:

First, have your resolved it?

No. Nobody help no answer and don’t find my side too.

Second, I doubt if anyone is willing to read every single line of your

submission, understand each of your 'tests' and then draw a conclusion.

I think like you. And people don’t like read when it’s too long.

We must know it’s the” Twitter Generation” so forget long message!

If I understand it, your main problem is that Windows 10 doesn't see the SSD and boot.

How about starting with your ASUS bios settings and let us know if the SSD is there and if it is the primary boot device?

That is, if you have other drives installed.

The BIOS see all hard disk, CDROM device and even the USB (I boot Linux on it – I say that in very long message).

Windows 10 “see” the SSD but unable to read it. And if I try to boot on this SSD it’s impossible.

When I install the SSD I just install it with CDROM device. I disconnect all other HDD.

It’s primary device and Bios see that.

Then if that is okay, have you tried booting from a Windows 10 installation media and does the drive show up during the install steps?

Like I say in long message I try too to boot from Windows 10 DVD installation and try to repair. It’s not work. I try also using “DOS” commands and it’s not work too.

I don’t want to install Windows on the SSD. The SSD is good. Just the problem is I don’t want to reinstall all (Windows, application and data) on this SSD.

But I think I will do that soon since nobody help me.

I look other forum and my problem is not there or I try what they say.

Look fast my screenshot if you can. You will see I try many things without result.

Very frustrating to need to reinstall all again…

Thanks!

Reaction score
Like I say I don't want to install Windows 10 again on the SSD#1 but if I try for test (mean I boot on the Windows 10 DVD installation and choose Install) , Windows 10 see the SSD#1.

If I choose Repair and go to DOS and write "drivepart" and list device Windows see the drive SSD#1.
But if I run
bootrec /rebuildbcd
Windows say no Windows is installed on SSD#1.
So if I try
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /boot
it's not work since Windows don't see one hard disk (here SSD#1) with one Windows installation.

But on SSD#1 Windows 10 is there with applications and data.

Reaction score
Okay, if I understand correctly, Windows 10 was installed but won't boot. You are trying to repair it so that Windows will boot from it.

Again, try to run the installation from a USB just to see if the install can see the HD. The screen will be presented to you listing all your drives. You can always abort before you proceed any further. If it sees your drive, you can abort and rerun the installation media, but instead of starting the installation, click on the 'Repair' link in the lower left of the install screen. See if it will repair your boot automatically using that utility on the USB media..

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It's a very confusing post, but going through your images, it looks to me that you may have done some things that have left your SSD which looks like it began life as a GPT / UEFI setup to something that is now......
A Legacy / MBR instead of GPT and may or may not still contain an EFI partition
At some point I would expect that you would have had to mark the "now" legacy boot partition as "active" in order for it to boot assuming that it now contains the appropriate BCD (boot configuration data).
AND
Although not always necessary.......
Some system BIOS might require you to configure it for a legacy boot, either by turning off "Secure Boot" or by opting for UEFI + Legacy / MBR.
While in some instances the BIOS on some computers will no longer support disabling "Secure Boot" depending on the manufacturer.

Reaction score
Hi Old Guy Geek.

No need to try “USB installation” since I try with DVD (Installation for Microsoft) and it’s same.

And like you know “Repair” don’t work.

Windows DVD installation see the SDD#1 but just if I want install Windows again on it.

If I try some DOS command to repair Windows say no system installed.

But Windows 10 is installed on SDD#1 with applications and data.

I think the boot/mbr or something like that is corrupted and for now I don’t find something to repair it.

------------------

Hi Trouble

I try to resume:

1- I have two computer PC#1 (buy 2012) and PC#2 (buy 2008). Both have Windows 10 same version. Both work good (hardware). PC#1 boot on SSD#1 and PC#2 on SSD#2.

2- PC#1 has a UEFI BIOS and PC#2 has a Legacy (normal) BIOS.

3- A day, on PC#1, I think a malware or virus attack it so now I can’t boot on SSD#1 now. But Windows 10, applications/software and data are there. I know that since I check later with Linux (“TestDisk”).

4- So I try to repair with Windows DVD but was not possible. Window failed trying that.

5- I think, since SSD#1 is just 512 GB, SSD#1 had MBR originally on it.

6- So I decide to work on my PC#2 with SSD#1 because I don’t want to change computer all time. On PC#2 I can test SSD#1 and remove it and change it for SSD#2 to boot and go at the Internet and continue to work for other things. It’s more simple to use just PC#2.

7- So like you know I try different test but no one work for now.

8- All my data on SSD#1 was save (using Linux with “TestDisk”). The Objective of this topic is to “revive” my SSD so I don’t need to reinstall Windows 10, applications and data.

9- In past I have had this problem and I have not found a solution. So I reinstalled all the (Windows, software and data). Which take a huge time.

10- I would like a solution because it is very frustrating to have to reinstalled all.

11- I am sure that a solution exists, but I think we need to know Windows deeply. This is not my case.

I’m not sure but I think MBR/Boot or something like that is no more on SSD#1 and for x reason it’s not possible to replace it.

If you know DOS, you must know the “Sys” command. It’s pity they don’t have a kind of command like that for Windows.

Ask a Question