Hard drive recognition issue

jpk

Reaction score
I am unable to access a hard drive that was functioning fine a couple of days ago. When I try to access the drive I get a message "M:\ is not accessible."
The further message is "A device which was specified does not exist." The drive is listed in file explorer, I just can't access it. Any thoughts as to how to correct this?

Reaction score
Hi!

I suggest you start with installing NIUBI Partition Editor (Free version)

With this tool you can check, monitor and change all harddrives on your PC. It might help you to find a resolution to your problem.

Reaction score
right click on the start menu and go to dick management. you dont need to download anything to format and partition the hard drive. you do need to understand what your doing by doing some research on the different file formats and hard drive formatting for windows 10 systems. and the use of device manager for that .
if you trying to access the drive to recover data or reformat the drive to erase it. you dont format it to recover files from it.

Reaction score
go to disk management. you dont need to download anything to format and partition the hard drive.
No you dont, but the windows tool you refer to is just crap. NUIBI Partition editor is way better and much much easier to understand. And why are you assuming he needs to format or repartition his disk, NUIBI is helping to find out the core issue as well.
And what is the problem downloading a 12MB file?

Reaction score
#1 why is it free? #2 is it trusted? #3 why is it free? #4 it ads an app which potentially carries a virus to a novice users computer when the program is provided by windows to do the task with out having the risk. how many times I've downloads taskbar hacks included with this free download stuff next thing you know you have ad's popping up while your browsing and have to system restore to remove them. its the reason no one sues IE and why its no longer supported and had to be renamed to edge. its why everyone switched to chrome because it was ( used to be ) ad's free browsing which made it faster. if you need a tool for work you do and you know the tool well that's fine but if you have a tool that works ( even though an opinion thinks its crap) and aren't using it with a professional tool set for data recovery or computer builds. that's why because it can be done with the windows tool. but yes if your looking for data recovery then this might not be the tool to use. as its a formatting tool but does include scan disk . and a break down of any partitions of any format. even ones hidden by windows. if he is trying to install a new harddrive then its possible the drive is not formatted in the correct format for windows 10 . this tool will correct the problem

Reaction score
#1 why is it free? #2 is it trusted? #3 why is it free? #4 it ads an app which potentially carries a virus to a novice users computer when the program is provided by windows to do the task with out having the risk.
About NIUBI partition editor
1. You can choose between a paid or free version. In this case I think the free version is good enough.
2. Yes it is trusted, I have used it for years without any suspicious behaviour :) . Always a good idea to google to check if an freeware is ok. And ALWAYS download it from the vendor site ... then you avoid all the virus versions uploaded by ppl with evil intentions.
3. Its free because its a way to get customer that like the app to get the paid full version.
4. NIUBI has no commercials or other shit that is popping up when you use it.

So @pattyandme, give NIUBI a try, I'm pretty sure you gonna like it ;)

if he is trying to install a new harddrive
Reading the Q my conclusion is that it's a harddrive that has been in use earlier without any problems. Then it might be an advantage to use a non windows tool to make sure this "independent" tool can recognise the disk, and find out what state it is in.

Skärmklipp.PNG

Last edited:

Ask a Question