Wallpaper can read my external hard drive; screen saver can't

Reaction score
My desktop wallpaper is set to change every few minutes. It just displays one of 17000 photos I have in a folder in my external hard drive. I would like my screen saver to also do that, but what it does instead is put the computer to sleep. I've read other posts but did not see this addressed. TIA for any thoughts or suggestions!

Reaction score
My desktop wallpaper is set to change every few minutes. It just displays one of 17000 photos I have in a folder in my external hard drive. I would like my screen saver to also do that, but what it does instead is put the computer to sleep. I've read other posts but did not see this addressed. TIA for any thoughts or suggestions!
I was unable to edit my query with this new development: I've turned off my screensaver (I set it to none) and it sill puts my computer to sleep. How do I know? Because it does within the number of minutes it was last set to do it before disabling it!

Reaction score
As far as the computer turning off is concerned, look in Settings > System > Power & Sleep to control when the screen turns off and when the PC goes to sleep. There is also a link here that provides additional information. This is not the same as lock screen found under Settings > Personalization > Lock Screen.

On an aside, there has been discussion elsewhere in the forum of potential problems arising from use of sleep mode and hibernation.

Regarding the problem of the Lock Screen Slideshow not finding your photos on your external drive, it may have something to do with the Environment Variables or entries in the Registry, but I don't have sufficient knowledge to provide any detailed information.

Ask a Question