Custom desktop wallpaper disappears after every update

NRB

Reaction score
Hi there,

I run a small business with 8 computers running Windows 10. Each computer has multiple user accounts and my own administrator account. All users have a custom desktop background with the company logo and I use a different variation of it so I know the Admin account is logged in. The lock screen is also a custom company logo.

What's been happening though, is that after each windows 10 update the desktop wallpaper/background changes to a default windows 10 picture. This is really annoying as after each update I have to manually change the desktop personalisation for EACH account on EACH computer, so have to do it 24 times! (4 users x 8 computers).

Why does this behaviour happen and is there a way to stop it, because it's become really infuriating?

Reaction score
Hi I have searched the net for your issue and I have not been able to find a fix. My suggestion would be to contact Microsoft and report this issue to them. You have 8 computers and they all have a custom desktop wallpaper/background? I guess the update sees this as a problem and reverts back to default.
Maybe you will get a better answer from a member later!

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Hi there,

I run a small business with 8 computers running Windows 10. Each computer has multiple user accounts and my own administrator account. All users have a custom desktop background with the company logo and I use a different variation of it so I know the Admin account is logged in. The lock screen is also a custom company logo.

What's been happening though, is that after each windows 10 update the desktop wallpaper/background changes to a default windows 10 picture. This is really annoying as after each update I have to manually change the desktop personalisation for EACH account on EACH computer, so have to do it 24 times! (4 users x 8 computers).

Why does this behaviour happen and is there a way to stop it, because it's become really infuriating?

The updates your refer are actually small OS upgrades....and as such....most everything is reset to original OS settings....aka default settings. Since this is a home/small business, you might want to consider using the Enterprise edition which is specifically tailored to the business environment. There may be some settings that allow what you're wanting to do with custom desktop themes but not likely.

Another thing to consider is the multiple user accounts on a single PC.....normally this is not a practice of a business environment as the degree for a malfunction/breakdown/corruption/system crash is multiplied by each user account on each PC. So if you have 4 users on 1 PC then it 4 times greater to have issues then a single user would have. Normally a business assigns 1 PC/laptop per employee. Then all the data is stored on data servers where each business PC has access to it at any given time and at the same time.

Ask a Question