Customizing win10?

Reaction score
I'm new here...and new to windows 10.---I'm a winxp user with 10 years or more of various windows products and have survived MS certifications classes,etc. A short review of the forums suggests a lot of problems are perhaps due to MS overkilling this product IMHO. So the questions: # 1 is there a stripped down bare-bones minimum option? If so please advise ASAP._#2 Can WINDOWS 10 updates be ignored OR REJECTED?. _#3 Is Dual Booting an option...perhaps a x32 Oper Sys and Win 10 x64 Oper Sys? on separate partitions. _#4 Perhaps a VIrtual Machine setup would create a NEW SPACE for programs from Win XP such as OUTLOOK EXPRESS?
I'm pasting here a link to perhaps a solution (My part of the issues regarding customing Win 10)
...pasted link and a user feedback (below here)
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...s/014d2b12-30c1-4402-9c9b-9a65a124cdab?auth=1
  • the link above is very informative...
A contribution from a VM user offers this feedback KEN_968
replied on .
I created a Windows XP Pro virtual machine under VMware Player, as Windows 10 Professional edition no longer supports WinXP under Hyper-V. I have the original Key and CD so that licensing is not an issue. (there is a 30-day trial period without a Key) I needed to transfer my old CANON CanoScan D660U scanner to the VM. It has a special "Film Adapter Unit" hardware and software to scan in 35 mm slides, which is very difficult to replace. Installation went smoothly with the appropriate driver and software at CANON support website. I also added Acrobat PDF writer to the VM for accepting scanned documents. Everything works flawlessly. VMware Player is very easy to install and intuitive to use. So, this is the way to keep an old special peripheral device.

PS. There is a good link to add XP-Mode to Microsoft Hyper-V. http://www.download3k.com/articles/...achine-to-Windows-10-or-8-using-Hyper-V-00770

Perhaps others here on his forum have experience?

KE

Ken_968
replied on

I created a Windows XP Pro virtual machine under VMware Player, as Windows 10 Professional edition no longer supports WinXP under Hyper-V. I have the original Key and CD so that licensing is not an issue. (there is a 30-day trial period without a Key) I needed to transfer my old CANON CanoScan D660U scanner to the VM. It has a special "Film Adapter Unit" hardware and software to scan in 35 mm slides, which is very difficult to replace. Installation went smoothly with the appropriate driver and software at CANON support website. I also added Acrobat PDF writer to the VM for accepting scanned documents. Everything works flawlessly. VMware Player is very easy to install and intuitive to use. So, this is the way to keep an old special peripheral device.

PS. There is a good link to add XP-Mode to Microsoft Hyper-V. http://www.download3k.com/articles/...achine-to-Windows-10-or-8-using-Hyper-V-00770

Perhaps others here on his forum have experience?

Suggestions? Or am I dreaming? Thanks in advance,

ron_of_orange dec12,2017

Ask a Question