Keep losing desktop wallpaper and mouse freezes up

Reaction score
The problem with the mouse started a few weeks ago, but the wallpaper started a few days ago. I believe they are related, but cannot ascertain exactly what is causing this issue. At first I thought it might be the batteries in the mouse and keyboard. They are a wireless combo. But when I changed batteries, it continued to happen.
Then, I thought that because my C:\ drive was getting full that this would somehow cause it. But I realized that the hard drive shouldn't affect the mouse movement. I ordered a new mouse/keyboard combo and installed it. It ran great for a few days, then began the same issue. Now, my desktop wallpaper reverts to black without my changing it. Just a few minutes ago it happened and I changed it back. Then a few minutes later it went to black again.

Could this be caused by memory issues, or am I looking in the wrong place? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reaction score
It sounds more like a program interfering with it or a corrupt file somewhere. Have you installed anything new over the last few weeks?

Reaction score
Not that I can remember. I will look closer at my program files in control panel to see if anything was installed. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reaction score
An issue with the wallpaper or desktop is that it is dynamic, unlike a picture on the wall that is static, the desktop is constantly refreshing/redrawing. That may suggest a memory problem and either running the computer manufacturer's test, sometimes from the initial startup or a program they put in Windows, will show if there's trouble. Also could get memtest86 or memtest86+ and check.

Reaction score
I took your suggestion and downloaded MemTest86. I ran the default program and did not realize that it would take over 15 hours to complete. I have 32 gig of RAM. It showed no errors with the memory. If this problem continues, I will have to delve farther into troubleshooting it. Thanks!

Reaction score
Here is something worth mentioning. I noticed that there is an area of my table top (that my monitors and keyboard/mouse sit on) where I use my mouse, that possibly causing some of the intermittent freezing/pausing of the cursor. Because I am left handed I found that if I keep the mouse away from this area, the pausing/freezing is greatly diminished. Go figure :)
I will try putting the mouse on the right side of my keyboard, effectively forcing me to be a "righty" for a while.

Reaction score
When using Wireless devices one must look around for things that can interfere with the "radio" in them, things nearby or above or underneath what they are on.

Reaction score
How about the location of the wireless receiver? Right now mine is in the I/O port in the rear of the PC. I will try moving it to the front usb port.

Reaction score
No way to know for sure but that is definitely worth a try. One other possibility is whether a USB 2 or USB 3 port is used.

Reaction score
The USB 3 ports are "supposed" to fall back to USB 2 devices but maybe not always.

Ask a Question