SOLVED News/Weather/Notification apps keep going haywire

Reaction score
I know it's frowned on to post the same thing to multiple boards, but after eight days, my post on Windows Support has received no help or advice to speak of, and I really need assistance. I thought maybe I just posted on the wrong forum, even though nobody said that to me, either. Anyway, thinking maybe I should have posted here instead, I'm copying and pasting here.

A couple of months ago, my Microsoft News app, after a period of time, would stop updating and 'freeze' on a particular 'live tile.' A short time after that I would stop receiving notifications. If I actually clicked on the News app icon, it would show me current news headlines. But the live tile would stop updating. This would last until the computer was restarted or logged out/back in. And it would keep happening and keep happening and KEEP happening.

Then recently, the same thing started happening to my weather app. It would 'freeze' on a particular live tile and only show the current weather when opened. This would last until a total system reboot or logout/login. And it would KEEP happening over and over.

Now all of a sudden, my Microsoft News app has stopped working. I get absolutely absolutely ABSOLUTELY nothing but AN ERROR OCCURRED. Over and over, refresh after refresh, An Error Occurred An Error Occurred An Error Occurred An Error Occurred An Error Occurred An Error Occurred An Error Occurred An Error Occurred An Error Occurred An Error Occurred.

I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Reaction score
I was out earlier this evening and just read this. On 2 different computers, Win10 Home RTM and Win10 Pro RTM, both 64-bit and latest Version 1809 and Build 17763.253 and don't see the problem with the tiles.

What is your Version and Build? Press Ctrl + R and type winver, post the full line with those numbers.

Reaction score
Version 1803, OS Build 17134.472.

I can see that this is ridiculously outdated. Windows is set to auto update and in fact, I'm pretty sure it updated just a couple of days ago. But apparently some major updates still have to be done manually, it appears.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wow. Nice. (/sarcasm) Apparently this update to version 1809 is going to take a while. I'll post again when it's finished.

EDIT:
Update is finished, and the Microsoft News app is running again. Whether the problem with the live tile ceasing to operate and freezing, is fully solved yet, I won't know for a little while. WINVER still shows as the version 1803 build, however, even though the update said it was updating to 1809. Not sure why this is.
I'll provide updates on all this as it becomes available.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Apparently, manually restarting caused the update not to take. I did it properly this time, and now WINVER shows as 1809, build 17763.253.

I will still need a bit of time to see if the live tile continues to work properly or if it continues to freeze after a few days. I'll update again as available.

Reaction score
Glad it's working. Some still haven't gotten the 1809 update. Some were still being held back on machines that may have compatibility issues. I updated all mine manually back when it first came out. CNY?

Reaction score
My surname begins with a C, and that makes the NY self-explanatory *laughs*

I guess I'll have to manually check Windows Update once or twice a month. So far my News and Weather Live Tiles are working properly. I'll wait a few more days before marking the thread solved.

Reaction score
Live tiles continue to scroll and cycle and News is working. I'm going to mark this solved. My thanks for all the assistance and advice.

Ask a Question