SOLVED Windows Apps Not Working (store; photo's; news; etc)

Reaction score
Hello WXF,

I just got some very valuable assistance from Trouble the-Noob-Whisperer, re issues with my sound.

That was resolved, now I can't open any windows app - as usual I attempted some trouble shooting and have hit another wall.

I cannot set the service AppID to Automatic start, it says I have no permission - not that setting to start even does much of anything.

The Trouble shooter provided by microsoft is that the problem was not fixed and that the "windows store cache may be damaged"

The programs I currently cannot run as far as I am aware:

Windows store
Photos
Xbox
Groove Music

Wait.. as I was typing this I was checking them, and it seems its all of them.

Please help.

Thanking you in advance
Better in Blue.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi betterinblue,

I think we ought to take one issue at a time, as resolving one may see the others resolve too.

So let's start with that Troubleshoot app message you got re 'Windows Store Cache may be damaged'.

To repair this you'll need to do the following:
  • Press Windows key and R key together to open the Run dialog
  • In the Run dialog type C:\Windows\System32 then click OK
  • Tap you W key then S key to quickly scroll down window and locate WSReset
  • Right-click on WSReset and select Run as administrator
  • When the User Account Control alert appears click Yes

A command window will appear and seemingly do nothing for a moment. Just wait!

Next the Windows Store Blue window will appear with spinning circle; again wait!

When the Store itself opens you can close it.

• Next press Windows key and R key again to re-open the Run dialog
  • In the Run dialog type or copy & paste the following, then click OK

Code:
    %localappdata%\Packages\Microsoft.WindowsStore_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState

This will open the localstate folder for Windows Store. Inside this folder you may see some folders. If one of those folders is called Cache then right-click on this and Rename to Cache.old

Next right-click
    inside the folder and select New > Folder and name it Cache

Note: If the Cache folder was not there in the first place, create it by right-clicking in that window and select New > Folder then naming it Cache

You can close File Explorer now.

That ought to get your Windows Store operating correctly. If not you may need to re-register it, but try the above first and let us know how you go.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hello Regedit32,

• Press Windows key and R key together to open the Run dialog
  • In the Run dialog type C:\Windows\System32 then click OK
  • Tap you W key then S key to quickly scroll down window and locate WSReset
  • Right-click on WSReset and select Run as administrator
  • When the User Account Control alert appears click Yes
The above created an unsuccessful loop of the status quo.

• Note: If the Cache folder was not there in the first place, create it by right-clicking in that window and select New > Folder then naming it Cache

This however was a very new development - but sadly it never resolved the problem.

What must I do now?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Ok, in that case see whether you are able to re register the Windows Store app.
  • Right-click on Start
  • Left-click on Command Prompt (Admin)
  • When you see the User Account Control alert appear click Yes
  • In the console that opens type or copy & paste the following:

Code:
    PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Command “& {$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + ‘\AppxManifest.xml’ ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest}”

Press Enter key

Close
    console

Close any other open programs

Restart computer

After restarting see whether you can now access the Windows Store.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Have you considered doing an in-place upgrade using a Windows 10 image?

You can reinstall windows 10 over the top of itself, while keeping files and pictures etcetera, and this ought to get all the apps back up and running.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Well with issues there too there must be something else going on with your computer.

Check your drivers, bios are up to date.

Check what third party software you are running and consider removing it for the time being until you can get a functioning operating system.

You may need to resort to a full reset of computer, but before doing that back up any important files.

Reaction score
Open the Start Menu and type powershell The Power shell window will show, for selection, alternatively, it may open the Window ready for interaction, but, do not select this, instead, right click one of the offered choices and select "Run as Administrator".
Copy and paste
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}
See if this fixes the problem.
Otherwise, before getting any deeper, right clcik the start menu and, in "Run" type sfc /scannow.
This will take a time, as it scans all the system files and if any are found to be incorrect, it replaces them.

Reaction score
Sorry. I think a fresh install would be better, but, good luck, I hope it all turns out OK for you.

Ask a Question