Windows 10 not updating and apps not working

Reaction score
I upgraded from windows 8.1 to windows 10 but recently i discovered that the calculator app was not working; each time I launch it, it will just flash and refuse to launch. I also got to know later that several apps have grayed out and not working such as Mail, calendar, photos, store, groove music fims and tv, one note, camera, maps xbox tripadvisor, translator, weather channel. Worse of all, I checked the update history, all updates failed to install. Pls, I need a way out.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can you advise as to which version of Windows 10 you are currently dealing with.
Right click the Start Button and choose "Run" from the context menu and in the run dialog box type
winver
hit enter or click OK
What does it report?
Should look something like this

Capture.JPG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Open Internet Explorer
Start Button, all apps, windows accessories, internet explorer copy and paste this into the top URL address bar not into a search engine text box
Code:
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=KB3156421
Ignore the one for server preview.
The bigger of the two remaining 677.3 megs is for 64 bit and the smaller 390.8 megs is for 32 bit.
Download the correct version, to match you current install / system architecture.
Install it and see if that.....
updates your current build number
AND OR
fixes any of your current issues.

Reaction score
Open Internet Explorer
Start Button, all apps, windows accessories, internet explorer copy and paste this into the top URL address bar not into a search engine text box
Code:
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=KB3156421
Ignore the one for server preview.
The bigger of the two remaining 677.3 megs is for 64 bit and the smaller 390.8 megs is for 32 bit.
Download the correct version, to match you current install / system architecture.
Install it and see if that.....
updates your current build number
AND OR
fixes any of your current issues.

I downloaded the 677.3 megs for 64 bit but it failed to install. I wonder what prevents updates from installing on my system. I checked the update history, all failed to install.
Update history.PNG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Right click the Start Button and select Programs and Features from the top of the context menu
In the left column of the resultant window click the link that says "View installed updates"
Scroll down near the bottom to the section labeled "Microsoft Windows"
What do you see there?

Capture.JPG

IS KB3156421 listed there?
NOTE: Cumulative Updates are just that..... cumulative. You only need the latest as all previous fixes are rolled up into the latest cumulative update. Likewise the Malicious Software Removal Tool.

Your Office updates failing might be the topic for another thread and may require a different approach for a fix.

Reaction score
Right click the Start Button and select Programs and Features from the top of the context menu
In the left column of the resultant window click the link that says "View installed updates"
Scroll down near the bottom to the section labeled "Microsoft Windows"
What do you see there?

View attachment 2962

IS KB3156421 listed there?
NOTE: Cumulative Updates are just that..... cumulative. You only need the latest as all previous fixes are rolled up into the latest cumulative update. Likewise the Malicious Software Removal Tool.

Your Office updates failing might be the topic for another thread and may require a different approach for a fix.
KB3156421 is not listed there.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I downloaded the 677.3 megs for 64 bit but it failed to install.
When you attempted to install, using the standalone installer, did it produce an error?
IF so..... what did the error say?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Looks to me, from the image you've attached, that the download of the update failed.

Ask a Question