Three hard drives

Reaction score
Hello all,
I hope I'm in the right forum for this. I'm running Win 10 on a PC with three hard drives, one of 1tb, one of 4 tb, and one of 8 tb. Unfortunately the smallest one is the main one on my computer, i.e. Win 10 is on it. And it's over full with only 61.6 gb free so barely functioning at the moment. My idea is to get one of the others to be the home for Windows and use the other two for storage. But I'm at a loss as to how to accomplish this. I'd appreciate any suggestions as to how to do it or for a better way to attack the problem. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give. On the other hand, if this is the wrong forum for this problem, can you tell me the right one?

Reaction score
You're in the right place but wouldn't have been wrong in one of the others either. My way? I use a dual-bay drive dock for SATA drives and hardware cloning Source drive to the same size or larger Destination drive [can't be connected to any computer for the process]. If going to a larger drive there usually is unallocated space and a second partition can be created in that space. When back in Windows can use Disk Management to created a partition in that unallocated space, format then assigned a drive letter. It would add to a bit of confusion when having more than 2 drives, the most I've ever had was 3 x 345MB drives in an 80486/80MHz computer over 25 years ago. It's also possible to use a program to extend the main partition into the unallocated space but that may be affected if there's another small partition between them.

My main drive, factory created C: and D:, other drives are USB:

1646240282511.png

Reaction score
I hope I'm in the right forum for this.
Posting same thing later in another section can be referred to as double-posting, frowned upon in most forums. Some folks call it shopping for an easy solution.

Reaction score
instead of moving Windows 10 to another drive , why not move your data over (Pictures, documents etc.) ?
I always create a pure system drive with all my programs on it and have my pictures, documents, movies etc on a different drive/partition. That way my system drive can stay small (currently only 50GB used out of 80GB) . The rest of the drive (1TB) is used for my files

Reaction score
By "pure system drive" you mean? I'm having similar problems and would like to move pic's, doc's etc. over to my larger external hard drive. But that is used for backing up and has little room left.

Reaction score
instead of moving Windows 10 to another drive , why not move your data over (Pictures, documents etc.) ?
I always create a pure system drive with all my programs on it and have my pictures, documents, movies etc on a different drive/partition. That way my system drive can stay small (currently only 50GB used out of 80GB) . The rest of the drive (1TB) is used for my files
^^^^
This is the solution to the issue that you're facing. Your C: drive is filling because your user data is on there. Google how to move user data off onto another drive (note: you can't simply copy it over).

My Windows 10 system occupies only 83GB of its dedicated (512GB) NVMe SSD for example, everything else (my user data) is on other drives.

Ask a Question