Three versions of 'Desktop'

Reaction score
In the following screenshot I've shown the three versions of the entity called 'Desktop' on my PC.
Desktop-3versions.jpg

On the left is the one I rarely see or use, I suppose you'd call it the 'classic' desktop, displayed when you use Win + M to minimise everything (or other routes), with 'Show desktop icons' enabled.

On the right is what I see when I use Taskbar > Right-click > Toolbars > Desktop. The one I use the most.

In the middle is the folder that appears when I open 'Desktop' via this route:

DesktopThirdVersion.jpg

What am I missing here? Why do they not have identical content?

(I've also posted in http://www.tenforums.com/general-support/70694-three-versions-desktop.html#post875701)

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Reaction score
Mine are identical ,but different views according to how I set them up. Details: medium icons..etc.

But I do not have all those icons on my desktop, only three.

Reaction score
Sorted thanks. Here's the answer from Windows guru Ralph Fox:

L. The left one shows things which are in either one of:
(a) The "Public Desktop" folder, C:\Users\Public\Desktop
(b) Your personal desktop folder, C:\Users\terry\Desktop plus a few things which are not in either folder but which your Windows Registry says to show on the desktop screen, for example "Recycle Bin".

M. The middle one shows only things which are in your personal desktop folder, C:\Users\terry\Desktop.

R. The right one also shows things which your Windows Registry says to show in the desktop toolbar.

Note: when a UAC-elevated installer puts an icon "on the desktop", that usually means (a) the "Public Desktop" folder and not (b) your personal desktop folder.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Ask a Question