SOLVED Hello Again

Reaction score
I haven't had the pleasure of visiting the forum in maybe 3 years. In the main, because my old Dell Optiplex 760s machines are running like Swiss watches. In fact, I'm still running the same old HDs 24/7.
I was browsing the forum tonight; can someone please explain why the posters names have been replaced by Caps. A for alpha, B for bravo...
I dont complain much (3yrs) but, I just just dont like the new forum cofiguration. It's hard to read the posters names with these old eyes. On the old forum one could instantly recognize posters by their avitar/pic. Are these the good old day's :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hi Norton. Nice to see you around again!
fwiw. Posters are not in caps for me?

1594095173583.png

Reaction score
Hi Norton and welcome back,

if you mean in the members list, just hover over a letter with your mouse and it will show you the full name!. :):)

1594105961577.png

Reaction score
Thanks davehc and Wolfie for the warm welcome. Wolfie I understand what you are saying. It just seems like an unessessary, cumbersome step step to me. I liked the old configuration, one could instantly recognize posters from their avitar. Just my opinion. I hope you are all keeping well and staying safe and clear from this horrible virus. Stay safe and wear a mask.

Reaction score
I don't understand. I'm thinking the letters are only used as a substitute. That is when there is no avatar selected for use.

Reaction score
I'm thinking the letters are only used as a substitute. That is when there is no avatar selected for use.
I think you are right and that it is true of all forums Clifford. :)

You stay safe too Norton, and everyone else of course. :):):)

Reaction score
o_OI am totalled on this one. What poster names replaced by caps - what without Avatars????:(

Reaction score
davehc This is what I see, the members must have decide not to coose an avatar image. I have an avatar image, you do, Wolfie and clfford does. I recognized their post as soon as logged in after 3 years of being absent from the forum. Many Posters now just have a Cap letter. You have to hover over the letter to see who's posting. It just bugs me, no big deal really.

1594259243566.png

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
the members must have decide not to choose an avatar image
That's correct.
So it ends up being the first letter of their user name which is also present and just under the post title in you image above.

I believe in the old days those who did not choose to apply their own personal avatar they ended up with just a generic silhouette like a cartoon outline.
There may have also been an option to choose from a group of general images which you could select as your avatar but I really don't remember much detail about the process.
ANY WAY
Welcome back Norton, so good to hear from you again.
Hope you're planning on sticking around.

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the explanation. Could you snip an example, I cannot find one - just curiosity!

Reaction score
Tks again. All clear now.
I looked at one and got this

1594273819997.png

So, now I understand the context of this thread, but still a little hazy as to norton's problem. We all have different ways, I would guess, of browsing, but I must confess, in my case, I would not distinguish one avatar from another - I look at the names.
I have no idea why, but, as you can see, the name is pretty clear on my snip.

Reaction score
He was referring to the smaller icons, where the name doesn't appear. That is unless you hover the mouse over the icon for a fly out.

Reaction score
clifford_cooley That's it, your the man. Strange all the old members have an avatar. LOL
davehc I wonder how many Js are members, ;) ;)

Ask a Question