Hello PIN doesn't work

RBC

Reaction score
Downloaded & installed a Hewlett Packard BIOS update on my laptop 24 Aug 2019. Now I'm unable to log in to my computer or Microsoft account using my Hello PIN. When I try to log in via PIN to my Microsoft account, message says, "We couldn't verify you or the key you used. If you are using a security key, make sure this is your key and try again". Similar result when I try logging in to my Windows account on the laptop. Appears a security setting got messed up with the BIOS update. Yet when I click Settings, Accounts, and Sign-In Options it shows my PIN is "...all set to sign in to Windows, apps, and services". But it doesn't work, and I have to use my password to log in. How do I fix this without losing any data?

Reaction score
Why dont you remove and re add the Hello PIN

Open the Settings app, and click/tap on the Accounts icon.

Click/tap on Sign-in options on the left side, click/tap on Windows Hello PIN on the right side, and click/tap on the Remove button

1566850080947.png

Click/tap on Remove to confirm.

1566850119201.png

Type in your account's password to verify, and click/tap on OK

1566850147537.png

RBC

Reaction score
Beingdinu, thanks for the response. Two followup questions, (a) after clicking "remove" and entering my MS password, will I get prompted to create a new Hello PIN, or do I need to go back to Settings and start from there, (b) my current Hello PIN still works on my other computer (Dell all-in-one). If I remove and create a new Hello PIN on my laptop, will that new PIN work automatically on my desktop, or will I have to go thru the same process to remove and delete the Hello PIN again?

Ask a Question