intermittent behaviour: "Windows hello requires your pin"

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Surface pro 4 with Windows 10 Pro, build 10.0.14393.

I am a great fan of Windows Hello facial recognition login. However life has been made difficult after on of the recent updates.
First, the "PIN" option was greyed out, and following some advice on the forum I manage to reactivate it by adding a new "AllowDomainPINLogin" in the registry.
However 50% of the time, after Windows Hello recognises my face, it asks to enter the PIN (preceded by the message "Windows Hello requires your PIN"). The other times, in logs in straight away as it use to.
I am not sure if I can found a proper pattern for that quirk. It seems to be more stable when I am physically connected to my domain through the docking station. But is flaky when not (even other VPN to the same domain). When it asks for the pin, if I keep ignoring it and trying the facial recognition again and again, sometime it will login finally, sometime it won't even after 6-8 repeat. I have tried to play with the group policy without great success, but I probably have missed the right setting.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Welcome to forums sapro

Take a selfie with your mobile, then use that picture on mobile to unlock the PC :D

Reaction score
Are you using infrared for the facial recognition?

Facial rec will ask for a pin if it fails. your having a change to the registry may be involved.

Ask a Question