Ping by address:
Comp1 to Comp1 Timed out
Comp1 to comp 2 Timed out
Comp 1 to Local Host <1ms ok​

Ping by name:
Comp1 to comp1 ,<1ms
comp 1 to comp2 , <1ms​

Comp2: Same as 1.

This is a new development starting today. Yesterday, using the address, the name or even the Mac worked

I reattached WDMyCloud and Reinstalled the unit
It does not show up in the Network page on either computer but is functional on both

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Comp1 to Comp1 Timed out
It cannot ping its' own IP address but resolves localhost and NetBIOS when ping itself.
Something is strange, unless you are not pinging the correct ip address
do a ipconfig and hit enter and confirm that the ip address is what you expect.

Reaction score
The ping problem was a short between the seat and the keyboard. :oops:I was reversing numbers 168 had become 186 in the address. All Pings and Ping -a now work as expected.

I switched all cables in the router. Computer2 now is working properly.
Network shows Comp1, comp2 and WDmyCloud. The Navigation pane expands to the same. At least now!:confused:

Computer1's Network page shows computer 2. It does not show computer 1, or WD my cloud. (no change)
All are still accessible, assuming that I don't start reversing numbers again.:mad:

Computer 1 was upgraded from win 7, Computer 2 from windows 8.1.
There are several difference between the two. In cmd mode, in order to copy text, I use right key and select block...then copy. In computer 1, I just highlight it as I would in any other document by holding down the left mouse button...then copy.

Thank you again. I am going to repeat all of your instructions again on computer 1 to see what hapens. I'll let you know.

Personal question: Do you ever sleep?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Personal question: Do you ever sleep?
:):)
I do actually.
Often and for reasonably decent lengths of time.
At my age, I can't afford not to. Definitely need my beauty sleep.

Reaction score
I Restarted Comp2 for a windows update. When it came back up, Comp2 shows itself, and nothing else in the computer section of Network. Excuse my previous enthusiasm. It does not show comp1 or the cloud drive.

I'm going out after my big hammer now.:mad:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You may want to give it a rest for an hour or two and just let things run as normal.
I recall, that it can take as long as 40 + minutes for all NetBIOS information to propagate completely.
Usually pinging by NetBIOS name will force the issue, but not always.

And start with a smaller hammer and work your way up.
Takes longer so you get more satisfaction out of it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
AND just for the heck of it, double check services
services.msc
and confirm that the SSDP service is running on both it should be, and it should be set to manual, but you might want to change it to automatic just for a test.

Reaction score
:):)
I do actually.
Often and for reasonably decent lengths of time.
At my age, I can't afford not to. Definitely need my beauty sleep.

I'm fortunate, I got older and lost some abilities, but I kept my good looks. I got this far on good looks alone, why change now.

Reaction score
You may want to give it a rest for an hour or two and just let things run as normal.
I recall, that it can take as long as 40 + minutes for all NetBIOS information to propagate completely.
Usually pinging by NetBIOS name will force the issue, but not always.

And start with a smaller hammer and work your way up.
Takes longer so you get more satisfaction out of it.

I guess I just love the drama of a single, massive crash...a lack of endurance, also causes me to avoid small hammers!

Reaction score
As things stand Comp1's network page recognizes Comp2 only.
Comp2's network page recognizes Comp2 only (a Narcissus complex)

Neither Will show WDmyCloud.

Fortunately I have work around access, so I'm not really hurt by all of this.

Thank you again for all of the help!
Bridge

Reaction score
This is a bug in build Windows 10 Update 1511 (10586). It is a problem that all computers on a Wired network (except the master browser computer) cant see any other computers on the network.

I have been trying to resolve the issue without luck so far. What I have found is:

If I turn off all the computers, and start computer no.1 first, it becomes the Master Browser and can see/access all computers on the network. If I then turn on computer No.2 it wont be the Master Browser, and it cant see/access any other computers on the network and it's the same for computer 3, 4, etc when I turn them on.

If I turn off all the computers again, and start no.2 computer first, it becomes the Master Browser and can see/access all computers on the network. If I then turn on computer No.1, 3, 4 etc they wont be the Master Browser, and it cant see nay other computers on the network.

The is repeatable for any of the computers on the network, They computer that's tuned on first, is the master browser and and can see/access all other computers on the network. Any computers turned on after the first computer cant see/access other computers on the network.

It also happens if the Master Browser computer is rebooted. When it restarts it's no longer the Master browser, and cant see/access any other computer on the network.

I have also tried it with a WiFi tablet running Windows 10 update 1511. On WiFi it can see and access all other computers on the network even when it's not the Master Browser computer. Plug it into the Ethernet, and it cant see/access any other computer on the network, unless it is the Master Browser computer.

In summary, IMO this Windows 10 update 1511 has a major Ethernet/Master Browser Bug that is a 'show stopper' for wired networks.

BTW setting up a Home group on a network with this bug works fine, and all computers joined to the home group can see and access all the other home group computers.

Here are the error messages that appear in Windows 10 event viewer for computers that cant see other computers on the network:

----------------------------
Log Name: System
Source: BROWSER
Date: 3/12/2015 12:52:18 AM
Event ID: 8021
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Cray-1
Description:
The browser service was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser master \\CRAY-3 on the network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{06DD9509-D5A6-4706-8A24-16837FAD6756}.

Browser master: \\CRAY-3
Network: \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{06DD9509-D5A6-4706-8A24-16837FAD6756}

This event may be caused by a temporary loss of network connectivity. If this message appears again, verify that the server is still connected to the network. The return code is in the Data text box.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="BROWSER" />
<EventID Qualifiers="32768">8021</EventID>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-12-02T11:52:18.568200100Z" />
<EventRecordID>14465</EventRecordID>
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Cray-1</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>\\CRAY-3</Data>
<Data>\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{06DD9509-D5A6-4706-8A24-16837FAD6756}</Data>
<Binary>CF040000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

-------------------------------
Log Name: System
Source: BROWSER
Date: 3/12/2015 12:53:18 AM
Event ID: 8032
Task Category: None
Level: Information
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Cray-1
Description:
The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{06DD9509-D5A6-4706-8A24-16837FAD6756}. The backup browser is stopping.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="BROWSER" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">8032</EventID>
<Level>4</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-12-02T11:53:18.724032600Z" />
<EventRecordID>14468</EventRecordID>
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Cray-1</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{06DD9509-D5A6-4706-8A24-16837FAD6756}</Data>
<Binary>CF040000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

Reaction score
Update to this problem.
Update KB3140743 and KB3139907 released on March 1st 2016 has fixed this problem.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for the info MaxLV and for sharing your experience.
Nice to hear that an update actually fixed something.

Ask a Question