SOLVED Help with sudden failure of touchpad and left click button.

Reaction score
Hi,
I would like help as to why my touchpad click and left click on my HP laptop suddenly stopped working. This happened yesterday as I was working everything was working fine, but suddenly I couldn't refresh. I couldn't click on things either. I have tried performing a clean boot, uninstalling the synaptic driver, restarting many times and updating the drivers. I don't think it is hardware related as I can click on few options but cannot on others like cut, copy or refresh. Also safe mode displays same kind of behavior. I am currently getting through by connecting my mouse via the USB port.
Also I would like to add that I have not updated Windows for some time(It shows me an error- 0x800704c7, which also has something to do with drivers idk), so could that be an issue?
Any help will be appreciated. Thnx.

Reaction score
Hi,
I would like help as to why my touchpad click and left click on my HP laptop suddenly stopped working. This happened yesterday as I was working everything was working fine, but suddenly I couldn't refresh. I couldn't click on things either. I have tried performing a clean boot, uninstalling the synaptic driver, restarting many times and updating the drivers. I don't think it is hardware related as I can click on few options but cannot on others like cut, copy or refresh. Also safe mode displays same kind of behavior. I am currently getting through by connecting my mouse via the USB port.
Also I would like to add that I have not updated Windows for some time(It shows me an error- 0x800704c7, which also has something to do with drivers idk), so could that be an issue?
Any help will be appreciated. Thnx.

Hi! SO interesting. Yesterday this EXACT thing happened to me on Windows10. I though all was frozen but instead the left click ceased working. I also rebooted, opened in safe mode etc. but then I realized that I could use the 'clicker' (button right above the touchpad, it's got 3 buttons right below the space bar) I'd never even noticed that before! It works to click and also simply taping once on the touch pad also serves as click. So, no idea what's wrong with mine nor how to fix it (none of the 'fixes' or troubleshooting works). Meantime, the workaround keeps me working! Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Hi! SO interesting. Yesterday this EXACT thing happened to me on Windows10. I though all was frozen but instead the left click ceased working. I also rebooted, opened in safe mode etc. but then I realized that I could use the 'clicker' (button right above the touchpad, it's got 3 buttons right below the space bar) I'd never even noticed that before! It works to click and also simply taping once on the touch pad also serves as click. So, no idea what's wrong with mine nor how to fix it (none of the 'fixes' or troubleshooting works). Meantime, the workaround keeps me working! Hope this helps!
Thnx for replying. The problem with me is that the single tap on the touchpad wasn't working either. But almost MAGICALLY, the problem was solved. I did nothing but was using the mouse to get things done, and left the laptop on sleep for some hours, started it again and Viola! Though I'm not going to mark this thread as 'solved' for a couple of days just yet in case it turns up again.

Reaction score
Thnx for replying. The problem with me is that the single tap on the touchpad wasn't working either. But almost MAGICALLY, the problem was solved. I did nothing but was using the mouse to get things done, and left the laptop on sleep for some hours, started it again and Viola! Though I'm not going to mark this thread as 'solved' for a couple of days just yet in case it turns up again.
edit: Yeah so no good it turned out again suddenly, AND NOW ITS EVEN CRAZIER !! Now its selecting everything(the cursor) and behaving as I'm pressing it even though I'm not ! Another thing I noticed that it recurred ,and began in the first place, when i connected my android phone via the USB while transferring some files. Pls help. Thnx.

Ask a Question