Hi I am Bruce Banks and I fix PCs for free

Reaction score
All us old guys getting together again in yet another thread - LOL:D
Hi Dave,

I just turned 63 (1st of Sept), do I win a prize?. :D:D:D

Credit card @Regedit32, I don't have one, never have and never will!. :):):)

Hi @Bruce Banks,

I started computing with DOS 3.0 or something like that, I still have the original book from my very first laptop which cost me a whoping 1200,00 Deutsch Marks back in the middle 80's. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction score
When my wife was working for one of the big Canadian banks in the '80s a lot of their deep down account processing was still in BAL on System 370 mainframes. I would not be surprised if that code was not still running.

Reaction score
When my wife was working for one of the big Canadian banks in the '80s a lot of their deep down account processing was still in BAL on System 370 mainframes. I would not be surprised if that code was not still running.
Ha Ha - Last year local Sobey's cash registers crashed - They were running original XP and I overheard crash was caused by trying to apply service packs

Reaction score
Hi Dave,

Hi @Bruce Banks,

I started computing with DOS 3.0 or something like that, I still have the original book from my very first laptop which cost me a whoping 1200,00 Deutsch Marks back in the middle 80's. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ah the good old days
My first was an 8086 Dos 4.1 using company supplied interest free loan of $1,300 and they ridiculed me for upgrading to 20 MEG hard drive and double sided floppy

Reaction score
Hi Dave,

I just turned 63 (1st of Sept), do I win a prize?. :D:D:D

Credit card @Regedit32, I don't have one, never have and never will!. :):):)

Hi @Bruce Banks,

Just looked that up in Historical conversions. About US$ 600 (?) Lot of cash in those days!

I'm keeping a low profile in this thread. It shows my age too much! (PC Dos 1.0)

Reaction score
I think he is referring to the nature and wording of Wolfies post. It might even be against forum rules.

Reaction score
My Problem = I married a woman who did not know she was carrier for Congenital Myatonic Dystrophy. It took my wife and daughter plus my son is in a nursing home.
The only constant in my life was my ability to fix computers / solve problems.
After retirement, I asked to be a member of Windows 10 Insider Program (Mostly to keep me sane)
Got a problem with me ? Suck It Up !

Reaction score
"Got a problem with me ? Suck It Up !"

Take it easy, Bruce. No one here attacking you, just a little levity.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just looked that up in Historical conversions. About US$ 600 (?) Lot of cash in those days!

I'm keeping a low profile in this thread. It shows my age too much! (PC Dos 1.0)
Dave I started with CP I hope this doesn't date me too much LOL

Reaction score
Fortran II
Fortran 4 introduced girly stuff....:D
Ah University ,Fortran 4 with punch cards - Do Not use I = E/R You can't use Integer as variables, don't you know! Wastes reams of paper! Good thing I switched to trade school & TV repair

Reaction score
Dave I started with CP I hope this doesn't date me too much LOL
I remember the CP/M system was first used "domestically", I think, on the Sinclair, on which I had lot of fun. Succeeded by better, but I think Sinclair really gave others the idea of having a computer on your desktop (My opinion)
Interesting and much hidden history of CO/M was that Xerox were using a variation of Windows inter Office. It was spotted by Steve Jobs and Bill Gates and they bought the rights to use it, but then went their own ways.
Here we sit accepting it as a natural part of the household.

Reaction score
Yes maybe it was cp/m, I started my kids out on a Adam. we had upgraded it to have a cassette tape for storage.floppies haden't been thought of yet. I actually still have some reloading data on some of them tapes. the Adam itself went to a collector back in the 90's I had no idea it was worth actual Money. I think I tripled my money on it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I guess I am dating myself as my first computer was a Timex Sinclair 1000 followed by a TRS-80.! Later I got a TI99/4A so the kids could play with plug in cartridges and leave "my stuff" alone
Of course I subscribed to all the magazines, bought several books and joined computer club.
I thought I was in heaven - Mainframe programming at work and Basic games at home.
Then, the company provided deal for 8086 PC, DOS 4.0 and 9600 baud modem so I could do support work from home. Bye Bye Basic and hello DOS / Windows.
As computer club members upgraded their PCs, I purchased all their old stuff and have been building / repairing my own ever since.

Last edited: