How to kill Windows 10 Edge New Cresting-wave Icon

Reaction score
Yeah, installing google chrome won't change the shortcut icon unless you change the default browser. Open settings, click on Apps, click on Default Apps (on left column), scroll down and click Web Browser, choose Chrome. If that doesn't change the shortcut icon, then something is corrupt in your windows install.

Reaction score
Hi Dave,
NO, I didn't because I don't want it to be my default and I like Edge NEW features very much. BTW Dave, you really don't see those many Edge Cresting-wave Icons in your desktop and in Favorite folder?

Oh, I just saw BigFeet helping me ... I'll try it ASAP.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think you need to make it , at least temporarily, your default.
Your question:
Not a single one! Here is a small sample

Untitled.png

Reaction score
Hi Dave,
YES, I did and just see my 1/2 screen shot desktop: (Yes, it's a partial solution only, it should follow the URL/websites Favicon or Logo and not follow Chrome or Edge logo's).

Attachments

• 2021-01-19.jpg
    2021-01-19.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 99
Reaction score
I've never had a shortcut use the favicon by default on the desktop. The only thing you can do is download the favicons from each website, store them in a separate folder, then change the icon to each to match the websites favicon.

Reaction score
Well No real argument, but, as you can see from my post#18, IE does. But I do not have a crowded desktop, as in rino’s snip. I have a few “daily” ones in the taskbar, and the remsinder in my favourites bar There, again as you can see from my snip, they are 100% favicons.

Reaction score
Hi BigFeet & Dave,
Yes, I'm with Dave that it should only saved websites Favicon. 2 examples from IE11 before: If I saved news of cnn.com and saved some eBay nice item to purpose later then I can easily find the cnn and eBay (e) Favicons -- not those Edge Cresting-wave Icon and Chrome Logo Icon because it loaded many of those and all similar Icons -- very useless to locate the right, et. etc. This also true when I open my Folder --- all similar Logo Icons and not unique Favicon's.

Last edited:
Reaction score
BigFeet said:
The only thing you can do is download the favicons from each website, store them in a separate folder, then change the icon to each to match the websites favicon.
Rino Said:
YES, I can do that BUT it is not necessary BECAUSE those many smart software Programmers should did it for all of us or else why we should buy those PC's? All PC and Smartphone should help people and not the other way around to made living our life's enjoyable as possible. BTW, it already done saving automatically for us and we never must do something by manually as you suggested. ;)

Reaction score
Wolfie said:

Thank you for answering my question :) Nothing and it never fix by using Desktop icon settings. I knew and tried using Change Icons manually for some launch Icon BUT I prefer the original websites Icons as being given and owned by those websites. More over, it is automatically done by all browsers -- not by us all Users. :mad:
Hi Rino,

did you try changing the theme at least to see if that helps?. :cool:

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie,

I'm sorry to report even changing the Theme -- all my Shortcuts Icons stayed the same and nothing were fix -- these, include those Icons in my Folders.

Reaction score
Rino. It just has got to be something in the third party area that is giving you this problem.
The thread is now a bit of a tangled web, so, just confirm you are only using Chrome and Edge Chrome as your browsers?
Would you mind showing a step by step as to how you are making the Shortcut folders to your desktop.

I have, at this moment, made a shoertcut from this forum to my desktop, using Edge Chrome. This is what I see:

1611121047899.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Dave,
I should follow your method if you've mention it nevertheless I just highlighted the Win 10 Forum URL/address and dragged it to Desktop and the Right shortcuts -- I just Right-Click on empty area on Desktop and point NEW > chose Shortcut > type-in or I Copy/Paste URL address > Click NEXT & type-in 'win 10 Forum' > click FINISH.

BTW, I'm using purely Microsoft Edge -- not Edge Chrome and I make it my Default Browser. I like Edge better than Google Chrome -- especially I always let my PC to 'Read aloud selection' and if I wants a hard copy of News article -- I just select 'Enter immersive reader' -- very nice & clean copy will come out. See Edge New features here: https://bit.ly/2Mb87f6

I think your PC is working perfectly good! Wishing we can fix it like yours ;)

Attachments

• win10.jpg
    win10.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 88
Reaction score
That is pretty much what I do.
Frankly, the problem has got me baffled. But, I have been experimenting with a fresh install.
I am not sure you are going to like this.
I installed several shortcuts from web pages, using our mutual method.

They were, with only edge,and without further mods, like yours.

I then reinstalled IE (It is available under Apps for installation). All my bookmarks from Edge were automatically installed also.- This may have been significant!
I set it as my default, and loaded a random site. Immediately my Icons changed to what they should be.

I then left it as the default but used edge to browse.. Perfect.
What do your reckon,

Reaction score
I'm using purely Microsoft Edge -- not Edge Chrome
Hi Rino,

you might want to consider getting Edge Chrome, just a thought as I have no other suggestions apart from a system reset!. ;)

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie,
Sorry to tell you -- I spent several hours finding Microsoft Edge Chromium download BUT all they offer was Google Chrome which I already got it. All Edge Chromium are only articles & NO Download. Can you find their Download page -- Please? :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hi DaveHC,
I wish you could summarize your latest experimented procedures. Also, I would like to see just 1/3 of your desktop whatever possible. My advance Thanks to You.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Snip attached . Not much there as I have normally, an empty desktop.

I think I have pretty much covered what I did?
I installed Internet explorer. It picked up, automatically, all my bookmarks.. As soon as I used it, all the desktop icons changed to there origin icons.
One interesting point, only for me I guess: I was, in the old days, a constant user of IE. I started, and stayed, with using edge from its innovation. With this thread, I have found that I still rather like IE with all of its functions, and am thinking of using it permanently!
fwiw. Chrome Edge is normally available automatically, or, at worst, through the updates page. No extra procedures on your part.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
1. Open the Microsoft Edge browser on your PC/Laptop.
2. Click on the ‘ three-dot ‘ icon on the top right-hand side of the browser,
3. Click on the ‘ Settings ‘ option from the drop-down menu.
4. Click on the ‘ About Microsoft Edge ‘ tab from the settings menu.
5. The browser will now check for updates.

Ask a Question