How to kill Windows 10 Edge New Cresting-wave Icon

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie,
I've been visited your Link before and now https://bit.ly/3sFFVlj but found NO download. I click on 'Try the new Microsoft Edge now button' and found only articles/features of New Chrome. I click on 'Need More Help?' and I sent this message: This Web page suppose to have a Download button BUT where is it?

As I mentioned in earlier post that I already got Google Chrome installed and chose not a Default browser because I like Edge much better. I also did tried to make as Default but have NOT change for the better -- so I reverted it again. All they offer was to download Google Chrome from a suppose Microsoft open web page.

PLEASE try open your Link :)

Reaction score
Hi DaveHC,
YES, I planning to go back to IE-11 as you did -- will report later.
Also, am waiting for New updates to come out BUT nothing happened. Only this -- "Microsoft Edge is up to date". I click 'Chrome' and this came out:
https://www.google.com/chrome Looking for Google Chrome?
Download Google Chrome

My question: Is Microsoft (New) Edge Chromium is really a Google Chrome?

Reaction score
No. Ms admit it is based on the chromium technology, whatever that means, but it is a browser in its own right.
Not on my computer right now, but perhaps you are already using edge chrome. Maybe someone can indicate how to check?

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
My question: Is Microsoft (New) Edge Chromium is really a Google Chrome?
Yes.....it's based on the same kernel/code as Chrome....just like all Chromium browsers...ie, FF, Oprea, Brave and so on. Now, what is different is basically the cosmetics. Of course this is over simplified.

The cool part with Chrome and Edge Chromium......open both side by side and you can literally drag and drop bookmark folders from one to the other.

Reaction score
Hi BassFisher6522,
My real problem is to fix mine -- as many Edge users explains here: Can you change the shortcut icons from Edge's to website favicons? - Windows 10 Forums (tenforums.com) -- NO one yet is happy :mad:

Those Shortcuts Icon's must & should be those unique Websites own creation for their Favicon's. When we saved them & it's help us immediately identify their websites. BUT now I got lot of the same icons & have to search & read those small text written under it -- took long time to open the correct URL.

Utilize NO 3rd Party App nor manually to change every Shortcuts Icons by user's and it is done automatically by our Browsers.

I'm wishing for Edge does the same way as IE-11 did before.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi DaveHC,
YES, You're RIGHT -- they're different BUT adapting the same Technology.
I got now: Microsoft Edge, Microsoft Edge Chromium & Google Chrome. I make 1 @ a time for Default BUT NOTHING change all Edge Logo Icons -- in my Desktop & Folder. :mad:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi DaveHC,
YES, You're RIGHT -- they're different BUT adapting the same Technology.
I got now: Microsoft Edge, Microsoft Edge Chromium & Google Chrome. I make 1 @ a time for Default BUT NOTHING change all Edge Logo Icons -- in my Desktop & Folder. :mad:
I think it has to be ie as the default. THEN GO TO SNY BOOKMARKED SITE, WITH IE. All the avicons will be reproduced.

Reaction score
Hi DaveHC,
Thank you -- I'll definitely download first IE-11 & experiment on it.

Reaction score
Hi DaveHC,
I already got IE-11 -- make Default browser. BUT after rebooted many times & check all Shortcuts just change back to IE-11 Logo Icons. All the same throughout with all my 3 Browsers -- each changed to their own Browser Logo -- all common Logos -- very difficult to quick to identify & launch.

Last edited:
Reaction score
PLEASE try open your Link
Hi Rino,

sorry, I thought it would be just a case of going to that page and clicking on a download it now link. I sent them a message telling them the page is useless!.

Edge Chromium is based off of the Linux version of Google Chrome which is called "Chromium Browser" in Linux distro's. It is open source and that is why MS chose it!.

Apart from a reset, I am out of ideas now. :(

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie,
Thanks for your kindness in helping me fix my PC. I already found the download page for Edge Chromium Beta version & immediately make it as my Default browser -- rebooted -- Desktop & Folder Shortcuts all changed to their Default browser logos. I installed 4 different Browser: Edge, Google Chrome, IE-11 & Edge Chromium beta are my last installed. My observation: All Shortcuts Icons followed or changed or use the version of Logo I make as my Default browser. All brand New Browser make as Default losses the ability to detect those unique websites Favicons and finding none they all used their own Logo instead. And even creating a New PC Account for my wife name won't cured nor fixed this problem. Wish & Pray someone who did fixed this similar problem will help me. For my proof as shown below 4 different Shortcut Icons on my Desktop & Folder:

Attachments

• 4 installed browsers.jpg
    4 installed browsers.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Rino,

at least you managed to get the latest version of edge. Like I said, I really don't know what is causing it and can still only recommend a system reset!. Other than that, I simply don't know.:(

Reaction score
Right on- I am , sorry, giving up on this thread. Many suggestions - nothing apparently works to satisfaction.
As I originally said - no solution to the icons (Ugly as you say). So put identifiable labels on them ( too busy - your desktop)-
I'm out.

Ask a Question