How to kill Windows 10 Edge New Cresting-wave Icon

Reaction score
Why Microsoft Windows 10 Edge Browser designers chose to dominate their New Cresting-wave
microsoft_edge.jpg
look Icon in every websites or local PC .html save files? I have several of the same
microsoft_edge.jpg
microsoft_edge.jpg
microsoft_edge.jpg
Icons which gave me hard time to click open the right one. IE-11 is much better but Internet Explorer 11 will no longer be supported for Microsoft's online services. Do Windows 10 Forum got the trick to fix this websites links Icon problem?

Reaction score
Hi Rino,

have you tried saving the files in other formats like Webpage, complete and do you have the same problem?. ;)

1609879800364.png

Reaction score
Thanks for investigating Wolfie. YES, even my own creation of webpage are all having the same Cresting-wave Icon -- what happened to Edge?

Reaction score
I get that icon on downloaded pages if Edge is associated with the .htm/.html files but doesn't take long to change that association back to Firefox. Some of it may be if the default Browser is Edge or changed to Firefox.

As for IE11, some Web sites are already getting away from with messages and diverting to Edge such as FaceBook.

Reaction score
I am with Bighorn. Simple enough to change the label to something meaningful.
Isnt that common to all browsers, if it is from the html?

Reaction score
Hi Rino,

have you tried right clicking one of your files and checking its properties and see if you can change the default icon to something else?. As mentioned above, it is most likely something to do with association?. :)

Reaction score
Thank You Wolfie, davehc, & Bighorn -- I did tried all your suggestions BUT still no good. To better understand my problem I repost a good website: Edge download just changed all my screen icons - Microsoft Community which indicates clearly our similar problem in using Microsoft Edge browser. I knew everybody wanted to help me BUT make sure you did experienced the same problem & been fixed or otherwise it must be the fault of Microsoft Edge software programmers. Cheers Everyone :)

Reaction score
I cannot really understand your real problem, I confess, so I am better off out of this thread. I do think that the comments and suggestions cover you initial post...but?

Reaction score
Hi Rino,

did you try the very last post in the link you posted about using small icons?. :)

Right click on an empty part of screen.

A pop up will appear the View at the top

Click on View

check preferred icon size (I use Small)

check Show desktop icons

Do Not check Auto Arrange

Do Not check Align icons to grid

When complete, close the popup

Restart the computer.

Reaction score
Thanks Wolfie, I did followed your suggestion BUT it didn't work. Now I've to rearrange back all my desktop icons again. I really hated why Edge conquered almost all my desktop Icons? Into Cresting-wave
microsoft_edge.jpg
For DaveHR to understand more -- click this link: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...s/411a92bd-ad5f-4059-a65d-b30e3878799c?page=2

Wolfie - are you also using Microsoft Edge browser? You never encounter like I do?

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the link only indicated there were three other users with the same problem. The offered solution obviously had not worked. I suggest that, whilst the finger points at Edge, it could well be something associated with the browser, but not to all users.
Your query is addressed to Wolfie, but, fyi, this is currently my desktop. The Edge icons you see, are shortcuts to web pages. This has always been, for me, standard practise, whatever Browser is my default. If I am understanding you correctly, ALL of your icons show up as Edge?

1610949802624.png

Attachments

• 1610949363001.png
    1610949363001.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 117
Reaction score
Wolfie - are you also using Microsoft Edge browser? You never encounter like I do?
Hi Rino,

I have never had the same problem as you!. All I can suggest is you open Settings > Personalisation > Themes and change the theme to see if that helps. Also, if you look on the right, you will see "Desktop icon settings" which you can use to change icons too and there is a "Restore default" button!. ;)

1610957797569.png

1610957653515.png

Reaction score
Why Microsoft Windows 10 Edge Browser designers chose to dominate their New Cresting-wave View attachment 12992 look Icon in every websites or local PC .html save files? I have several of the same View attachment 12992 View attachment 12992View attachment 12992 Icons which gave me hard time to click open the right one. IE-11 is much better but Internet Explorer 11 will no longer be supported for Microsoft's online services. Do Windows 10 Forum got the trick to fix this websites links Icon problem?
Extracting "IE-11 is much better " You mean it does not reproduce the icons in the same way. Yes it does, but they are then IE icons if you have it as your default.

Reaction score
davehc said:
You mean it does not reproduce the icons in the same way. Yes it does

Hi davehc,
NO, it does not. It followed all websites am saving in my Favorites folder. This way I can easily choose the right desktop Icons to launch. More over, if I save my own web pages creation and it saved my own Icons -- not those Cresting-wave
microsoft_edge.jpg
Icons. I'll also show 1/2 of my desktop Icons - the right side has more Cresting-wave Icons which are useless for me -- I have to find those correct TEXT which are very small letters. MS Edge browser never change those installed Apps as shown.

I noticed & saw many similar Cresting-wave Icons in your Desktop and those ugly launch Icons arrows ;)

Attachments

• 2021-01-18.jpg
    2021-01-18.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
To better understand my problem I repost a good website: Edge download just changed all my screen icons - Microsoft Community which indicates clearly our similar problem in using Microsoft Edge browser.
Edge does not change all desktop icons.....it cant as it doesn't interact with anything else, it's just a browser. In post 14, your attachment.....well there is clearly something underlying that is causing this.....not the browser itself. Maybe an add-on or extension of some kind. Some sort of trojan, malware or keylogger. You definitely got something going on under the hood.

My initial thought is; Virus of some kind, malware or adware of some kind, trojan or keylogger. Then there could be some sort of browser hijacker. That's where I would start looking.

Are all the desktop icons, are they url's to a website. If so, my suggestion would be to use bookmarks. Create a folder and name it and with in each folder add your url's.

bookmark.PNG

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
A couple more thing.....have you tried a different browser? Have you tried resetting Edge to default settings?

Reaction score
Wolfie said:
I have never had the same problem as you!. All I can suggest is you open Settings > Personalisation > Themes and change the theme to see if that helps. Also, if you look on the right, you will see "Desktop icon settings" which you can use to change icons too and there is a "Restore default" button!.
Thank you for answering my question :) Nothing and it never fix by using Desktop icon settings. I knew and tried using Change Icons manually for some launch Icon BUT I prefer the original websites Icons as being given and owned by those websites. More over, it is automatically done by all browsers -- not by us all Users. :mad:

Reaction score
davehc said:

Hi davehc,
NO, it does not. It followed all websites am saving in my Favorites folder. This way I can easily choose the right desktop Icons to launch. More over, if I save my own web pages creation and it saved my own Icons -- not those Cresting-wave
microsoft_edge.jpg
Icons. I'll also show 1/2 of my desktop Icons - the right side has more Cresting-wave Icons which are useless for me -- I have to find those correct TEXT which are very small letters. MS Edge browser never change those installed Apps as shown.

I noticed & saw many similar Cresting-wave Icons in your Desktop and those ugly launch Icons arrows ;)
My apologies. You are correct. After seeing your picture, I have finally realised what you are intending. Maybe ugly. I rarley use the desktop so it is not, in my usage, a consideration. As Basssfisher suggests, I use bookmarks from within the browser.
However, I hace been experimenting, and may have a partial solution for you.
I reinstalled IE and configured it to my requirements. I made it the default. I then opened the shown websites with IE and closed them again (No other action.)
I have now changed back to Edge, as my default, and rebooted a couple of times to be sure.
This is what I now see:

1611037449054.png

Reaction score
Hi bassfisher6522,
Thank you for your help -- I installed Avast to doubled-check my PC and found only ONE Malware -- already secured in Virus Vault. I also installed Google Chrome and saved ONE website in desktop and in a Folder. I restart PC and found the NEW website in desktop & folder are using the same Cresting-wave Icons which like all the rest I previously got.

Hoping & I'm really appreciate if someone who experienced this kind of problem will come up to help me and others more experiencing the same -- we all waiting for a good Samaritan.

Ask a Question