Windows 10 Version 20H2 kills my favorites sites.

Reaction score
I very seldom come in here and complain about something Microsoft has done. But, this Windows 10 .version 20H2 (so build 19042.630) has some problems.
No.1 I like Windows Internet Explorer and all it offers. Nothing was wrong with it. If there was, why didn't Microsoft just make improvements? No.2 I like the way you can save websites, etc... in Internet Explorer. When Microsoft Edge came in power it changes everything the way you could save to "favorites" and such.
No.3 Now comes the upgrade. Microsoft Windows 10 .version 20H2 (os build 19042.630) and it done away with my favorites and many other things that was "grand" in Internet Explorer.
Few months ago I found that there was this Microsoft Edge (Canary) browser that actual works better than Edge. It lets me keep the favorites as they where in Explorer.
No.4 Now here comes the major problem with Version 20H2. It downloads Microsoft Edge, and you cannot delete (uninstall) it when you have Version 20H2 on the computer. So, I uninstall version 20H2, and uninstall Edge to go back to Internet Explorer. Now that I'm back to Windows 10. version 2004 (os build 19041.630) all is well on the Western front as they say.
I recently have read that Microsoft has in mind to replace Edge. Thank God for that.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
MS is phasing out IE if favor of Edge which are MS built browsers. They (MS) is replacing those with the New Edge Chromium which is now the default browser of 20H2 as you found out. MS is doing this simply to compete with the rest of the known browsers as their browsers don't work well or at all with some sites.

The New Edge Chromium is just like Google Chrome in most every way. IMO, MS needs to still tweak the browser settings to simplify it more like Chrome. Other than that....It's my daily browser.

Reaction score
Agreed. There apparently are some security issues with Internet Explorer, it has been around for 20 years. The bigger issue is with Web sites support of the browsers with IE now getting warnings/messages that a site won't work and automatically switches to Edge. For a week or more this message comes up for facebook.com:
1605465418476.png

Reaction score
I was never a real fan of IE and I am happy it goes in the grave. However the replacement named Edge has gotten a lot better now since it is based on chromium (same as Chrome Browser from Google). I used to have Firefox but I have retired that one recently as it does not fit my needs anymore and it also has become a resource hog which is not working well with my old hardware. Currently I am using both Chrome and Edge and I have to say that I am pretty satisfied with that. It takes a little 'getting used to' but over time one comes to like it. I know I am...
The only thing I have to figure out is how NOT to open pdf files in the browser but an external app instead when clicking on it in a website.
But that is a different story...

Reaction score
The only thing I have to figure out is how NOT to open pdf files in the browser but an external app instead when clicking on it in a website.
But that is a different story...
I do that in Settings, Apps and Default apps, set mine for Adobe Acrobat on my main Desktop and Adobe Acrobat Reader [free] on others. Or one could simply Save the .pdf files and open later with the right-click and Open with.

Reaction score
I do that in Settings, Apps and Default apps, set mine for Adobe Acrobat on my main Desktop and Adobe Acrobat Reader [free] on others. Or one could simply Save the .pdf files and open later with the right-click and Open with.
yeah, that is how I have set it up, however if I want to save my Bank statements I have to go through the opening in the browser then I can print or save it. After having done that I have not found a way to close the open file yet....

My apologies, I did not mean to hijack this thread....

Reaction score
Yes, I know the whole story and the end results here. It's all about money and how easy it is to be made from computer owners. We can start way back with Windows 98, and how Microsoft said they needed to switch to Windows XP, and same story when it came to Windows 8, 9, and later Windows 7, and the big wallop to Windows 10. How much money do you think Microsoft made from all these changes? Not much one can brag about when it comes to how you use a computer and what it does for you.

So, I'll keep running Internet Explorer till it dies, which is August 2021. By then, we might not be alive to use any new Microsoft's
new browsers and what ever is coming their way.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
So, I'll keep running Internet Explorer till it dies,
That's fine...just remember the biggest risk in doing so is the lack of security the browser itself has. If you're of that mind set. That is the same thing for each OS iteration....some builds are on new code, others the code can only be improved on and only so much. Then the new security fixes that has to keep up with the newer code virus's and malware uses and then the way the malicious software is introduces. Older OS don't have a chance. And yes...MS does capitalize on it finically.

Example: With the digital age at it's infancy......windows 98/98SE/2000 couldn't compete, so out came Windows Me (which was my real first OS and worked great for me) which was MS first attempt at the digital connection. Then here comes XP with full blown digital connection and way better security.

. By then, we might not be alive to use any new Microsoft's
new browsers and what ever is coming their way.
I don't know about you but I plan on being around for a long time.

Reaction score
I very seldom come in here and complain about something Microsoft has done. But, this Windows 10 .version 20H2 (so build 19042.630) has some problems.
No.1 I like Windows Internet Explorer and all it offers. Nothing was wrong with it. If there was, why didn't Microsoft just make improvements? No.2 I like the way you can save websites, etc... in Internet Explorer. When Microsoft Edge came in power it changes everything the way you could save to "favorites" and such.
No.3 Now comes the upgrade. Microsoft Windows 10 .version 20H2 (os build 19042.630) and it done away with my favorites and many other things that was "grand" in Internet Explorer.
Few months ago I found that there was this Microsoft Edge (Canary) browser that actual works better than Edge. It lets me keep the favorites as they where in Explorer.
No.4 Now here comes the major problem with Version 20H2. It downloads Microsoft Edge, and you cannot delete (uninstall) it when you have Version 20H2 on the computer. So, I uninstall version 20H2, and uninstall Edge to go back to Internet Explorer. Now that I'm back to Windows 10. version 2004 (os build 19041.630) all is well on the Western front as they say.
I recently have read that Microsoft has in mind to replace Edge. Thank God for that.
If you want to use IE that is fine its your prerogative, I personally hate it and thanks MS for getting rid of it, Edge is not much better and I also hate that you can’t save web sites as a reference/icon and only with a copied address link, that was a step backwards and also their Favourites but that was fixed with the last update, Edge was a mixture and omission of everything good and it was as usual experimental in Edge.

Now and the many points you have made are have been fixed in the Chromium Edge. The new Microsoft Windows 10 .version 20H2 (OS build 19042.630) and Chromium Edge has the following that you and I were disappointed about but they fixed them:

• The Edge Favourites are back to how it was in IE with the OS build 19042.630 that is a good thing.
  • I’ve used the “Chromium Edge Beta” since it was released and MS have fixed what you were complaining about and that is the “I like the way you can save websites” now you can.
  • Also, deleting MS Edge is up to you and if you want to use IE then that is fine also, but and from what I’ve seen and used Chromium Edge is heaps better than IE and/or Edge and MS are on the right track.

Last edited:

Ask a Question