SOLVED Display Windows Version on the Desktop

Reaction score
I would like to display the windows version and build on the desktop of my machines.

There are various methods of finding out which version of windows you are running.
Among others (and I’m sure there are many more)
Option 1: SETTINGS ==> SYSTEM ==> ABOUT (Will display Windows Version and OS Build)
Option 2: Command Prompt ==> VER (Will display the OS Build in a slightly different format) [See top of attached screen print]
Option 3: Command Prompt ==>WINVER (Will display Windows Version and OS Build) [See middle of attached screen print]
Option 4: REGEDIT ==> Key: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop ==> Set value of PaintDesktopVersion to “1” (Will display “Some Number”)

Option 4 comes close to what I want to accomplish: Unlike options 1-3 where you have to go through a number of steps to get a one-time display of the version number, option 4 places a permanent note of the version onto the desktop [see bottom of attached screen print]. Unfortunately, the numbers this option shows, are NOT the same as the Windows Version and OS build shown by options 1 and 3:
On my current machine, options 1 and 3 show “Version 1909 - Build 18363.836”
Option 2 shows "Version 10.0.18363.836" (Slightly different format but still includes the OS Build)
Option 4 shows “Windows 10 Pro – Build 18362.19h1_release.190318-1202” The number shown here probably makes sense to a Microsoft Engineer but I would like to display the version/build that normal mortals use i.e. the same number that is shown in options 1 and 3.

Does anyone here know how to display the “proper” version/build number rather than the cryptic value currently displayed when using option 4?

Attachments

• Winver.jpg
    Winver.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes - that would be another way to get the exact same result as option 3 above. Just like in option 3, you have to go through a number of steps to get a one-time display of the version number. This is NOT what I want. I would like to get a permanent display of the version/build similar to what option 4 does - except, I would like it to display the "proper" version/build.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I would like to get a permanent display of the version/build similar to what option 4 does - except, I would like it to display the "proper" version/build.
Not sure why none of the methods you note above are unsatisfactory, but....
Something I have used from time to time in the past is a program called BGinfo from Microsoft

NOW...
By default it will put a bunch of generally useless information on your desktop.
It simply puts a bitmap overlay on your existing background / wallpaper.
BUT...
You can manually edit what is displayed to reflect exactly what you want to see
You simply delete what you don't want.
AND
Add the custom text you do want. See image below.

Unfortunately it is does not automatically reflect updates and changes.
You have to return to the program and edit your text to reflect those changes.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
I would like to be able to determine the version and build number just by glancing at the desktop of any given machine rather than having to type anything in, find the version, and then dismiss the resulting window. If I am on the phone, it's much easier to ask the user on the other end to look at "What does it say in the right bottom corner for "Build" rather than having to explain the steps to determine the build number.
I just downloaded BGInfo and it may do the trick. Your screenshot shows, OS, Version, and Build but the default configuration only shows a variable for the OS (<OS Version>). I can't find variables for the Version or the Build. Could you tell me which variables you used for Version and Build?
As for keeping the information up to date: The help file suggests running BGInfo at startup or via the task scheduler. This would then update the variables and ensure that the information displayed is current.

Attachments

• BGInfo 1.jpg
    BGInfo 1.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 456
Reaction score
I may have just found an answer to my own question: In BGInfo you can define your own variables by accessing values from the registry.
I found the OS in key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProductName
I found the version in key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ReleaseId
And I found the build in key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\CurrentBuildNumber
I defined variables based on those keys and entered them into BGInfo.
The end result gives me, what I am after (see attached screen shot)
Now all that remains is, to schedule BGInfo to run periodically to update this information
BGInfo 2.jpg

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Question: Will this be on the screen all the time? I would make it a icon and drag it to the notification area and click on as needed.

Congratulations on your success.

Reaction score
Yes, this will be on the screen all the time so there is no need to convert it to an icon. The whole point was, not to have to click on anything.
(Besides, I wouldn't know how to convert it to an icon anyway). Thanks for suggesting BGInfo: I now have it running via task scheduler and the result looks the way I had envisioned.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Will this be on the screen all the time?
Yep.
It's basically a bitmap that overlays your existing wallpaper and becomes your chosen desktop background and stays that way until you choose another background picture.
Thanks for suggesting BGInfo
You're welcome. Glad you have it working to your satisfaction.
That Mark Russinovich guy used to head his own company called Sysinternals that made a bunch of useful tools / utilities for Windows.
Microsoft made some kind of deal with him (don't know the particulars) but now he and his company are under the Microsoft umbrella

Reaction score
Not sure why none of the methods you note above are unsatisfactory, but....
Something I have used from time to time in the past is a program called BGinfo from Microsoft

NOW...
By default it will put a bunch of generally useless information on your desktop.
It simply puts a bitmap overlay on your existing background / wallpaper.
BUT...
You can manually edit what is displayed to reflect exactly what you want to see
You simply delete what you don't want.
AND
Add the custom text you do want. See image below.

Unfortunately it is does not automatically reflect updates and changes.
You have to return to the program and edit your text to reflect those changes.

View attachment 11868
Hi,
I just join this forum.
May I know where to download this Windows black wallpaper (which I like very much)?
Thank you.

Reaction score
Hi,
I just join this forum.
May I know where to download this Windows black wallpaper (which I like very much)?
Thank you.
Edit: I found it and attached it for anyone who is interested. Thank you

Attachments

• Windows 10 Grey.jpg
    Windows 10 Grey.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 406
Reaction score
Is there anyway of putting this same information on the login screen - So engineers who are updating Windows can i actually see Users locked screens - what version of windows they are currently running

Ask a Question