Windows 10 64 - Freezes on Display Settings Screen

Reaction score
Hello

I'm currently troubleshooting a new issue with a friends laptop running Windows 10 64-bit (Asus N501JW i7 , 16GB RAM, BIOS is up to date). The laptop was turned off for a period of 10 days during Xmas vacation (12/18/17). Upon restart and a recent Windows update the user noted that the display settings page, when accessed, caused the laptop to go into an unrecoverable freeze. The mouse will move, but no clicking functions. I have confirmed this behavior and also noted that when accessing the sound functions from the task bar caused the same result. I started the system in Safe Mode and replicated the same steps, no freezes were seen.

I have updated the display drivers (Nvidia G4600) to the latest. No other drivers were out of data. The laptop has had NO new updates or hardware added. This is a very basic user who does their day to day home accounting and internet browsing. The laptop was scanned by two different AV and malware applications and is clean. The AV is Norton 360, is up to date.

If anyone has any tips to troubleshoot this please let me know. I'm really trying to avoid rebuilding this system,

Thanks

Reaction score
I am also experiencing the same issue. Mine started in mid-December. I haven't tried every setting, but it freezes on Display and Battery on the settings window. Possibly others. Some are okay. When it freezes, I can still see the mouse cursor move, but nothing else works and a hard shutdown is necessary.

Please post what works if you are able to fix it.

Reaction score
Hi @Marcus Casey . Do you have all the updates installed? Have you considered a in-place upgrade. I attached the link in my reply above. Hard shut downs are not good for your PC

Reaction score
Updates are current. There have been updates pushed since it started occurring, but they have not helped the situation.

We are considering an in-place upgrade. The only thing I'm worried about is my Office license. This is a work computer and under our particular purchase agreement, the licenses die with the machine. We are hoping the license stays valid following an upgrade.

Reaction score
Hi @Marcus Casey I can't guarantee that the in-place upgrade will not lose your Office license.
It is supposed to reinstall windows over the top and not lose any thing, but there are no guarantees in the computer world. Why don't use create a back up image before doing the upgrade? I always have a current back up image ready. That makes me fearless, knowing I can restore my PC back exactly like it was the day I created the image
Good luck. Let us know how things go.

Reaction score
Why can't MSFT address this given the fact that their updates probably caused this? I'm in the same boat and spending a full day rebuilding and customizing a system due the the fault of MSFTs updates is very frustrating.

Reaction score
Why can't MSFT address this given the fact that their updates probably caused this? I'm in the same boat and spending a full day rebuilding and customizing a system due the the fault of MSFTs updates is very frustrating.
Hi I can't answer for MS.Some users don't have problems. Some users do have problems. It's good that you know how to rebuild your OS

Reaction score
Reporting in...I finally found the time to do an in-place Windows installation. The installation went fine and nothing was lost, but the issue with the display settings screen (and others) didn't go away.

I had to instead do a full Windows installation keeping nothing. That worked.

Reaction score
Hello

I'm currently troubleshooting a new issue with a friends laptop running Windows 10 64-bit (Asus N501JW i7 , 16GB RAM, BIOS is up to date). The laptop was turned off for a period of 10 days during Xmas vacation (12/18/17). Upon restart and a recent Windows update the user noted that the display settings page, when accessed, caused the laptop to go into an unrecoverable freeze. The mouse will move, but no clicking functions. I have confirmed this behavior and also noted that when accessing the sound functions from the task bar caused the same result. I started the system in Safe Mode and replicated the same steps, no freezes were seen.

I have updated the display drivers (Nvidia G4600) to the latest. No other drivers were out of data. The laptop has had NO new updates or hardware added. This is a very basic user who does their day to day home accounting and internet browsing. The laptop was scanned by two different AV and malware applications and is clean. The AV is Norton 360, is up to date.

If anyone has any tips to troubleshoot this please let me know. I'm really trying to avoid rebuilding this system,

Thanks

I had this problem and found out that somehow my monitor drivers (Samsung and HP) were replaced with generic PnP monitor drivers. I replaced those generic drivers with the manufacturer monitor drivers and that seemed to solve my issue.

Ask a Question