Windows 10 Freezes When Using Chrome

Reaction score
Hey Guys!

I've heard that this was issue on Windows 10 April 2018 Update when first time it came out and Microsoft have it fixed later. I updated my PC on late May via Windows Update and after that, it freezes randomly when using Chrome (or maybe some other apps). So, I decided to do a clean install (via bootable USB) and updated it to make sure I have the latest fix, security and feature update but unfortunately, it didn't help.

It doesn't freeze totally at first. I can still move the mouse cursor around but the webpage which currently on can't be scrolled up and down and moving from tab to tab is impossible. I also notice that seconds on Rainmeter clock widget stops ticking when it's happening. It can still be saved by right clicking start menu, signing out and signing in (which is really annoying to do) but If I don't do it right away, it totally freezes and become unusable. CTRL+WIN+SHIFT+B trick didn't help too.

I wonder if anyone has encountered this same issue and have found a fix for it. Fortunately, I have no issue when playing games.

Not sure if some software can potentially trigger this problem when installed so I have attached the list of software currently installed on my PC. HWinfo is always running on the background and being read by some of my Rainmeter widgets.

My PC Specs

AMD Ryzen 1700 OC 3.7GHz
ASUS ROG Strix B350-F (BIOS v4011)
ASUS ROG Strix RX580 8GB OC (Driver Ver 18.6.1)
TridentZ 2x8GB 3000
Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250GB
Seagate 1TB HDD
EVGA 650 GQ

Thanks!

Attachments

• Installed.png
    Installed.png
    80.9 KB · Views: 696
Last edited:

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
You're not alone...I've too experienced this. Seems to be more prevalent in the last 2 versions of Chrome. It's doesn't happen a lot anymore but from time to time I get the glitch. I just hit the "reload this page" button and I'm good to go.

I've sent a "report an issue" from within the settings area of chrome. I advise you to do the same. Maybe Google will fix it.

Reaction score
I briefly tried 17704 and I do not think I had any problem with Chrome but stopped using this because it would not use my excellent sound card that I have used with no problems with 17672 and below.

Reaction score
Thank you guys! I'll try switching to beta version of Chrome and see if that helps. My computer has been running for 13 hours now without any problem. But I am still worried that it will fail again.

Reaction score
Hey Guys!

I've heard that this was issue on Windows 10 April 2018 Update when first time it came out and Microsoft have it fixed later. I updated my PC on late May via Windows Update and after that, it freezes randomly when using Chrome (or maybe some other apps). So, I decided to do a clean install (via bootable USB) and updated it to make sure I have the latest fix, security and feature update but unfortunately, it didn't help.

It doesn't freeze totally at first. I can still move the mouse cursor around but the webpage which currently on can't be scrolled up and down and moving from tab to tab is impossible. I also notice that seconds on Rainmeter clock widget stops ticking when it's happening. It can still be saved by right clicking start menu, signing out and signing in (which is really annoying to do) but If I don't do it right away, it totally freezes and become unusable. CTRL+WIN+SHIFT+B trick didn't help too.

I wonder if anyone has encountered this same issue and have found a fix for it. Fortunately, I have no issue when playing games.

Not sure if some software can potentially trigger this problem when installed so I have attached the list of software currently installed on my PC. HWinfo is always running on the background and being read by some of my Rainmeter widgets.

My PC Specs

AMD Ryzen 1700 OC 3.7GHz
TridentZ 2x8GB 3000
Seagate 1TB HDD
EVGA 650 GQ

Thanks!
Have you checked for updates on chrome lately? It doesn't seem to do this automatically anymore. Click the 3 dots in the upper right then go down and mouse over HELP and click the ABOUT GOOGLE CHROME. It will open a new tab and check your version and then update it. If it fails to update and you are not current, just download chrome and reinstall over the current version

Reaction score
Hey Guys!

My PC Specs

AMD Ryzen 1700 OC 3.7GHz
TridentZ 2x8GB 3000
Seagate 1TB HDD
EVGA 650 GQ

Thanks!

This has been happening to me ever since I got Win10 2 yrs ago so I doubt its Windows. Chrome not only freezes or crashes but even tells me I need more memory to open a page which is absolutely ridiculous as I normally have nothing open except Outlook and Chrome. The past few months when only those apps are open more often than I would like it freezes and then the screen goes totally black and the ONLY way to get it back on line after trying many things is to hold the power button down until it turns itself off. Then I turn it back on until the next time. Doesn't seem to hurt the HP pc.

I switched to Chrome last year from Firefox because FF crashed so much. Chrome started doing that and worse with the black screen so I am now back on FF but still crashes too much. I didn't use safe mode on Chrome to see if the black screen thing would happen because it could be an hour, a day or a week between incidents.

Browsers are all a pain in the butt. I don't like the lack of friendly features of Edge at all and despise I.E.

And yes I always make sure my browser is up to date.

Reaction score
Hi guys, I too had issues with Chrome in update build 1803, but only on my laptop. I tried that build twice. It was determined by Microsoft Support that my Acer Aspire E1-470G i3 Intel CPU was not compatible with that version. So had it rolled back to 1709 where will stay. But I have also had a few issues on my desktop with 1803. But not with Chrome, it seems to be fine. both pc's are running the same updated version of Chrome.

Reaction score
Why would you use google chrome last night on the news they claimed google is giving away your emails to big buisness with the contients while I can't verify this who trusts the news why would you chance it.

Reaction score
I too, have had many issues w/ Chrome. I agree with Bassfisher, this is a Chrome issue and not W10. and this has been going long before the current W10 1803 download. I have contacted Chrome several times regarding freezes and dropping pages but unfortunately, no response. I will add that I am using the current W10 ver 1803, and using MS Edge and have been for at least 2years. No freezes. I am not trying to plug MS edge because they do have other issues but in this case it appears more staple than Chrome.

Reaction score
You might find the freezing is being caused by a webpage trying to load somthing like a utube clip from facebook or an advertisement Google, firefox and edge share their browser codes now so these problems shouldn't occur was happening in firefox as well but isn't now.

Reaction score
Have you checked for updates on chrome lately? It doesn't seem to do this automatically anymore. Click the 3 dots in the upper right then go down and mouse over HELP and click the ABOUT GOOGLE CHROME. It will open a new tab and check your version and then update it. If it fails to update and you are not current, just download chrome and reinstall over the current version

I always keep my Chrome up to date. Right now, I am running Version 67.0.3396.99.

I always keep my Google Chrome up to date and right now, I am running Version 67.0.3396.99. I also got an update from Windows (KB4284848) and installed it this week but I didn't help at all.
One of the "Improvements and Fixes" is
  • Addresses an issue that causes the latest versions of Google Chrome (67.0.3396.79+) to stop working on some devices.
Anyway, I will keep looking for the solutions or I might just going to switch back to Fall Creators Update (2017). I don't have much activities on my PC right now so it's a big of a deal.
By the way, my computer crashed while typing the sentence above. I am glad this forum has auto save feature so I didn't have to start over.

Reaction score
You might find the freezing is being caused by a webpage trying to load somthing like a utube clip from facebook or an advertisement Google, firefox and edge share their browser codes now so these problems shouldn't occur was happening in firefox as well but isn't now.
I left my Chrome open while it was also installing something on to my USB flash disk before I went to bed .
When I woke up and checked my computer, it was on blackscreen. Had to reset my PC to get back on. I can't remember the page it was on though.

Reaction score
This is the Chrome version and Win10 version I have and never had problems with either. It must be incompatibility issues with Chrome, try uninstalling Chrome and reinstalling it again.

Attachments

• Google Chrome Version.JPG
    Google Chrome Version.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 694
  • Win10 Pro Version.JPG
    Win10 Pro Version.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 691
Reaction score
This is the Chrome version and Win10 version I have and never had problems with either. It must be incompatibility issues with Chrome, try uninstalling Chrome and reinstalling it again.
I have these versions installed too. I haven't tried reinstalling Chrome yet so I will give it shot.

Last edited:

Ask a Question