Can I install an old version of windows 10 inside a newer one,without using the media creation tool ?

Reaction score
Hello.

I wonder if there is a way to up/downgrade Windows 10 without using the media creation tool,but directly from the original DVD. Before its advent,if I remember correctly,it was possible. Basically,what I want to do is to reinstall an old version of windows 10 at the same place of the newer one. I don't want that it put the current installation on the folder called "microsoft.old". I wanna do this because I find very useful to let windows 10 reinstalls only the boot files,basically. I know that the newer installation will be downgraded to an old one,but who cares ? I can reinstall later the latest upgrades. To follow this method is faster than reinstall everything from scratch or trying to fix the various boot errors that could happens. Infact actually,because some kind of boot error,I can't access to my current Windows 10 installation,so I can't use the media creation tool. And I don't want to reinstall Windows 10 and,everytime I have boot problems,I don't want to lose a lot of time trying to fix them. Let me know. thanks.

Reaction score
Hi,

if you can boot from a USB stick or DVD and have a copy of Windows 10, you can try the following to reset it. Do you have all your files backed up?. :)

Reaction score
I read better what the reset does. I don't like it. I don't want that it removes apps and settings. Before the advent of the media creation tool,it didn't happens. I'm thinking to create a new tool,that does not exists yet. the iso image of the current windows installation. when windows asks what I want to do,I will say that I want to do a new installation. But since the iso image contains all the settings,apps and programs that I'm using,it will replace everything with the same informations. But for sure,it will fix also the boot files correctly.

Reaction score
Try "Advanced Start-up Options" and troubleshoot. Read from "If you can't boot Windows 10". :)

Ask a Question