SOLVED Clean Install onto SSD and saving old HDD activation question.

Reaction score
Ok, so I've seen a lot of the talk on here about having to upgrade to windows 10 from a previously activated windows OS.

Hence, this question:

I just installed Windows 10 clean onto an SSD for my mother, she had been running Windows 7 since she bought her last computer. Sufficed to say, everything went well, however the install is not activated yet. This whole process took about an hour (maybe a bit longer, because I set up her hard drive to store her data, and her SSD to boot and store the programs, etc.). After reading some of the information about activation, I'm worried that her windows 10 will never activate, and they'll want to charge her for this, is that true? If so, that's just not fair.....do I literally have to re-hook up the hard drive from her old Windows 7 and boot to that, then wait for the upgrade, then upgrade that way, activate, but then what? I want to install the SSD, since it's like super fast for her, actually to quote her: "It's awesome!".

Harried and hopeless, as I am trying to sell this option to locals who want to run a faster computer since 120GB SSDs are quite affordable and they hold more than most people use in a decade of standard use.

Thanks all,

Jeff

Reaction score
By the way, I can tell you the history of my computer: I bought it with Windows 8, upgraded to Windows 8.1. I work as a Computer Technician (support) but only just started (a year and a half ago), and my co-worker recommended that I try a USB boot for Linux to see what Linux was. Well, long story short, I installed Linux over Windows 8.1, lost everything, of course, it was a brand new computer, so I didn't lose much, but my pride. Anyways, I continued to use Linux, until I realized that Windows 10 Tech Preview was free, and the OS was going to be free, so I decided to download that, and give it a try. Activated no problem, I've actually been using Windows 10 for almost a year now, I think I started in October? November? .... Anyways, I've installed all the builds in the fast ring, and the final build 10240 RTM, and I activated with the provided keys that were displayed during my download process from Microsoft. Now none of those keys work for my mom, and that's why I'm worrying about it.

Alright, thanks,
Jeff

Reaction score
I think had you upgraded to the hdd first, then installed the ssd and did a clean install of Windows, you'd have been ok. Maybe install Windows 7 to the SSD, then do the upgrade. It should then activate. Then you can do a clean install if you wish, afterwards.

Reaction score
I think for the time being, because it's my mom's computer, I'll wait and see what happens....in the meantime, perhaps the saturation point for new downloaders/installers will be reached and Microsoft may come up with a better solution than having me backtrack on her system, just to upgrade an activated windows 7 to windows 10.

Thanks for your reply, and if anyone has any better ideas, that would be awesome,

Jeff

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't believe, if I followed your posts above (clean install Windows 10 on new SSD) that it will ever activate, no matter how long you wait.
Use Acronis True Image, create a full disk image of her Windows 7 Disk then recover that Disk Image to the new SSD. Boot from the SSD, upgrade 7 to 10, makes sure it is activated and after than you can clean install to your hearts content.
I believe Acronis still has a free trial although I don't believe it is 30 days anymore. Maybe only 10 or 15, but still should get your through the project.

Reaction score
I may try that, and then I will have to do that on future installs.....seems utterly a waste of time....waste of server bandwidth (or peer to peer bandwidth..... :) ) When I can clean install in 30 minutes.....
So maybe the best approach is to take the user's system overnight, and clone the Windows OLD setup to the SSD, then upgrade on the SSD. So much of a hassle...oh well, I'll do it!

This just means that I have to upgrade my tip sheet ;)

Thanks guys,
Jeff

Reaction score
Is there any way with my ISOs on USB, to avoid downloading the whole package? I guess that's my real question, waiting for the upgrade to proceed when I have the whole Windows 10 install in my hot little hands..... :)

Regards,
Jeff

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If you already have the ISO or have converted the ISO to installation media, you can either mount the ISO or use the installation media to perform an in-place upgrade from within the qualifying previous version of Windows.
Just run setup.exe and choose upgrade / keep everything.

As long as the version and bit architecture are correct for the version you are upgrading from it needs to be like for like..... 32 or 64 bit, home or pro

Reaction score
You can upgrade and clean install with the same media. You simply have to complete the upgrade before you can perform a clean install.

Reaction score
OMG, you're right, instead of clicking custom install, I just choose upgrade! I'm a doofus sometimes.

Thanks guys, you are awesome.

But incidentally, I found this tonight too:

wuauclt.exe /updatenow

to get the win10 upgrade prompt in windows 7....although I shouldn't need it now.

Reaction score
Ok, so I've seen a lot of the talk on here about having to upgrade to windows 10 from a previously activated windows OS.

Hence, this question:

I just installed Windows 10 clean onto an SSD for my mother, she had been running Windows 7 since she bought her last computer. Sufficed to say, everything went well, however the install is not activated yet. This whole process took about an hour (maybe a bit longer, because I set up her hard drive to store her data, and her SSD to boot and store the programs, etc.). After reading some of the information about activation, I'm worried that her windows 10 will never activate, and they'll want to charge her for this, is that true? If so, that's just not fair.....do I literally have to re-hook up the hard drive from her old Windows 7 and boot to that, then wait for the upgrade, then upgrade that way, activate, but then what? I want to install the SSD, since it's like super fast for her, actually to quote her: "It's awesome!".

Harried and hopeless, as I am trying to sell this option to locals who want to run a faster computer since 120GB SSDs are quite affordable and they hold more than most people use in a decade of standard use.

Thanks all,

Jeff

Reaction score
I knew that the activation of Windows 10 is valid only if you update from Windows 7 or 8.1, I am still running the Insider Preview on both my desktop and laptop. As I understand it, the Preview is going to be valid for one year after the installation so that gives me enough time to wait for updates and stability in Windows 10 and then I can upgrade in place.

Ask a Question