Clean install

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I did a clean install today on a RAID 0 setup. No biggy. I see some new apps that I've not seen before even with the latest cumulative update. Namely the Spotify app....which never showed up in my task manager startup window. On top of that it was disabled by default....meaning I didn't have to change it (disable it).

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
It's very kind of MS to install stuff we don't need or want don'tcha think @bassfisher6522 ?. :)
I'm beginning to really despise windows 10 and MS in general with it's updates/patches and cumulative updates that seem to do more harm then good. It's kind of like the new meds (pills) they're releasing....there's more side effects then what it's supposed to help/fix and in some cases a side effect listed is exactly what the aliment is in the first place. Go figure!

Bif

Reaction score
As stated in an earlier post in another thread regarding "free" offerings such as MS giving away a problem....errr Operating System, I honestly wonder how things might have been different if they continued to charge for it.
Kinda smacks of the Zucherberg FB fiasco, with the end user agreement being a take it or leave it proposition. MS "stating" that controls can be had by the user in settings, when in reality this is anything but the case.. I can't see it changing any time soon or at all as long as we are using a "free" OS.
Sorry for the rant.

Reaction score
Biff I agree! MS is Teflon coated and they'll continue their ways because they can, and their latest offering (Win10) was free.

Reaction score
As stated in an earlier post in another thread regarding "free" offerings such as MS giving away a problem....errr Operating System, I honestly wonder how things might have been different if they continued to charge for it.
Kinda smacks of the Zucherberg FB fiasco, with the end user agreement being a take it or leave it proposition. MS "stating" that controls can be had by the user in settings, when in reality this is anything but the case.. I can't see it changing any time soon or at all as long as we are using a "free" OS.
Sorry for the rant.
Hi Bif,

they still do charge for it and when you buy a pirated licence key from Ebay; they get annoyed!. :p:p:p

If you can do an upgrade from W7 or W8, you might still get it for free but MS charge a small fortune if you buy directly from them!. :eek:

As far as the EULA goes, they really have overstepped the mark with the latest changes!. :mad:

Reaction score
I'm beginning to really despise windows 10 and MS in general with it's updates/patches and cumulative updates that seem to do more harm then good. It's kind of like the new meds (pills) they're releasing....there's more side effects then what it's supposed to help/fix and in some cases a side effect listed is exactly what the aliment is in the first place. Go figure!
I have to agree. Even, as you know, as an ex MVP. I was a devoted follower of MS and all it did - right up to the introduction of Windows 10.
I have no real problems wit the OS itself. Everything, including updates, have worked flawlessly for me, but am having a growing dislike for their policies and practises. They have, to draw a parallel, become akin to a "third world " operation.
The Insider program is NOT, as they insinuated, a private operation. It is widely open to anyone who has the spirit (and Time) to join. With that in mind, it was outrageous that a company who command a great deal of the worldwide IT business, should openly name the latest update as RTM, only to find, at that stage, it had a bug. I have seldom seen worst examples on third party programs.
At my age, too late to start getting into something new (Apple or Linux (which I don't like too much), but if it were different circumstances, I would be long gone.

Reaction score
At my age, too late to start getting into something new (Apple or Linux (which I don't like too much), but if it were different circumstances, I would be long gone.
Hi Dave,

were it not for the fact that games I like to play require Windows and won't work well in Linux, I would switch straight away and never use Windblows!. Apart from games, there is really nothing binding me to Microsoft and their ever more intrusive actions into peoples private lives!. :mad: A good example is it keeps asking me to log in to my MS account saying there is a problem, I never use my MS account anyway and only created it because it was necessary at the time. I always use a local account and never upload anything to the MS cloud!. :confused:

Reaction score
Wolfie I agree, that's how I use my PC; Local User and Admin accounts. Never sign into MS, visit the store or play games. No social media accounts, or links to cloud or portable device apps.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
should openly name the latest update as RTM, only to find, at that stage, it had a bug.
Was there actually an official microsoft announcement as to which build was going to be the RTM?
I must have missed it.

Reaction score
Reaction score
There's no rush if you don't have product to release.
After the latest fiasco, MS pulling the plug on 1804, I would think they may hold of until the release of Redstone 5 1809 in October. That will be "Red October"
icon_rolleyes.gif

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
No. Investigation shows that "RTM" originated from one source, often quoted on many forums.. MS never called it that.
OK.....
I wasn't completely sure, but I had not personally seen anything directly from Microsoft.
As a matter of fact they always seem to be the last to make any declaration or definitive statement regarding the subject matter.

I'm just going to go ahead and believe that their move from 17133 to 17134 was a good faith decision based on facts they had as a result of some last minute testing, that there were problems with that build that was producing Blue Screens on some machines.

I also wonder sometimes.....
How much of the current issues we're seeing is a result of efforts on their part to mitigate "Meltdown" and "Spectre" issues, which.....
As I understand is actually a chip based hardware exploit and is a chip micro-code vulnerablity.
I guess, since the vector for the exploit is via the Operating System, they have to do something to minimize the impact, but.....
I can't help but think that this effort, may be producing other problems for we humble end users.

Reaction score
An interesting Linux project which boasts it can emulate Windblows is slowly taking shape (not for beginners but good for someone who doesn't mind getting their hands dirty!):

http://www.reactos.org/

I tried it a while back but had problems with a couple of things, I will give it another go as they have just released an updated version.

IT IS AN ONGOING ALPHA PROJECT AND MAY BREAK YOUR SYSTEM!. ;)

Reaction score
Wolfie I think MS is an ongoing Alpha project too, they are always trashing systems. LOL

Reaction score
Norton, how could you say such a thing?, we all know that the good people at MS do their best to screw things up at every chance they get and they are doing a fine job of it!. LOL :p:p:p

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I also wonder sometimes.....
How much of the current issues we're seeing is a result of efforts on their part to mitigate "Meltdown" and "Spectre" issues, which.....
As I understand is actually a chip based hardware exploit and is a chip micro-code vulnerablity.
I guess, since the vector for the exploit is via the Operating System, they have to do something to minimize the impact, but.....
I can't help but think that this effort, may be producing other problems for we humble end users.
Seems that the problems with "Meltdown and Spectre" are still on-going and patches and fixes don't seem to be getting the job done.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...n-a-fix-for-windows-10-meltdown-patch-bypass/

bassfisher6522

Reaction score

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That's why I went with my BIOS frimware update from Gigabyte. You have to ask them for the BIOS update. So I went from F7 to F9c. As F8 only had support for 5th gen CPU's and above.
I think that, you, Ross and I all have the same motherboard, so.....
Email it to me.
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

System Model: Z97X-Gaming 7

Processor(s): 1 Processor(s) Installed. [01]: Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~4001 Mhz

BIOS Version: American Megatrends Inc. F8, 9/18/2015

Last edited:

Ask a Question