Issues with doing a clean install of Windows 10

Reaction score
So I’ve found myself in an interesting predicament when trying to do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro. A little bit of background info: when I first built my pc 4 years ago I purchased an OEM version of Windows 8.1 N. I installed it, upgraded it when Windows 10 came out (became Windows 10 home N) and after years of having issues with the Media Feature pack uninstalling or becoming outdated what seems like every other update, I decided to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro non-N version. So I purchased an OEM copy of it from a rather sketchy yet seemingly valid seller with the only caveat being that the product key would only work on a fresh install of Windows 10 pro. So I did a clean install through a usb drive with the Media Creation Tool and ran into my first issue: I wasn’t able to select the version of Windows that I wanted during installation. After a few minutes of google I found that by adding an ei.cfg to my installation boot I can select the version of Windows that I wanted. That solved my first problem but gave me another obstacle: I wasn’t able to input my product key but instead it was pulling my windows 8 key from my BIOS. Normally this wouldn’t be a problem had I bought a completely normal windows 10 pro key that can be used on an already installed version of Windows, but my key only works on a fresh installation. When I try to input a PID.txt (with or without the ei.cfg) on the boot drive, my windows 10 pro key attaches to the installation but I again can’t select the version of Windows I want to download (it installs the Pro N version). So my two main issues are the fact that my OEM version of Windows 8.1 N is tied to my motherboard and I can only use my new Windows 10 Pro key on fresh installation. Sorry for ranting but if anyone has a workaround to my problem or can point me in the right direction, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Hi Arvindmundhe

if you have all your files backed up, when you run the installer, click the 2nd option (Custom: Install Windows only (advanced)) in the installer window (not the one highlighted in red in the pic below). :)

windows-10-setup-upgrade-jpg.7862

Delete all partitions and this will wipe the drive of any remnants of your previous install!. ;)

Reaction score
" I decided to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro non-N version. So I purchased an OEM copy "

What was your Windows 8 ver - Home or pro? If the former, then I believe you would only be able to make a fresh install, with your new key, as you have an OEM..

"I again can’t select the version of Windows I want to download (it installs the Pro N version)."

I don't quite understand this one. Isn't that the Full version you have purchased? What are you downloading?

" I can only use my new Windows 10 Pro key on fresh installation."

That would be correct, on your first installation. Subsequent installs will not need to have a key written in.

Reaction score
" I decided to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro non-N version. So I purchased an OEM copy "

What was your Windows 8 ver - Home or pro? If the former, then I believe you would only be able to make a fresh install, with your new key, as you have an OEM..

"I again can’t select the version Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire of Windows I want to download (it installs the Pro N version)."

I don't quite understand this one. Isn't that the Full version you have purchased? What are you downloading?

" I can only use my new Windows 10 Pro key on fresh installation."

That would be correct, on your first installation. Subsequent installs will not need to have a key written in.

Thank you so much !!!!!!

Ask a Question