Battery Issues (specifically) with Windows

Reaction score
Hey, so for a while now I've believed that my battery is dying. It probably is, but today I noticed that it's probably not as bad as I thought.

So, I'll be happily using my laptop for a little while, from 100% charged and suddenly, power failure.

There is no specific battery level, but usually in the region of 70-80%. Sometimes after plugging in and rebooting, the battery level will read as very different from before the power failure. Booting after such a failure generally gets me as far as the login screen before sudden power failure again.

To all intents and purposes, this behaviour seems like a power failure (the battery level action to hibernate is not triggered). Today I learned that this only happens in Windows. I have a Linux partition on my drive but for reasons rarely use it without wall power.

My laptop battery just 'died' about ten minutes ago while I was using Windows, including 'dying' before I can type my password at login after trying to reboot. Yet here I am, sitting pretty from Linux.

This seems to me then that it's an OS (or driver - do batteries use drivers?) issue, but I've already explored all the common settings in Windows that I can find searching for laptop battery death while charged - namely:
  • badly configured low/critical battery levels and actions (verified to not be set too high)
  • ensuring that hiberfil.sys is large enough to hold the entire system RAM contents (currently set to 110% of system RAM)
  • verifying that the battery is not actually running out of charge (I mean, I'm still using it in another OS so, seems fine to me).

Any direction you could point me in to get Windows to accept that the battery does indeed have charge would be great.

Either that or the part of the Linux spec that shows how they get it to run on æther when the attached battery has no charge, because that seems like a technology the whole world could do with ;)

Reaction score
I was about to suggest booting to a Linux LiveDVD as a diagnostic but then noticed you have dual-boot capability. Have you tried booting Linux and check on the battery charge and usage? It should help in determining if Windows is the issue or not.

Reaction score
Have you tried booting Linux and check on the battery charge and usage? It should help in determining if Windows is the issue or not.
After the most recent power failure from Windows, I booted linux. It (at the time) reported battery charge at 67% at boot. I don't have the windows number for comparison, as like I said it generally doesn't get to the desktop before the power 'fails' after it has happened once, before I can plug it in again. Will update with upower output when I get the chance.

Reaction score
If you could tell us what brand and model of computer you have would be helpful. For instance, if you had a Surface Book, it has two batteries......

Also the Event Viewer may contain some helpful info.

Ask a Question