SOLVED Do I remove the battery?

WHL

Reaction score
I have a laptop running windows 10 pro.
I have set it up as a desktop with a wireless mouse & keyboard.
It is run off the mains at all times.
Should I remove the battery?

Bif

Reaction score
Not sure by what you mean by "mains" but if you have it plugged in to ac all the time if I'm understanding you correctly, then yes, to removing the battery..
This is how I use my laptop 98% of the time.

WHL

Reaction score
Reaction score
As Wolfie mentioned. charge the battery to full. run it down to around 60%, remove and store it.
I usually refresh the charge after about 5-6 months of storage. The battery is still good after approx 6 years.

Reaction score
Why remove it?? If it runs on pain power the battery is not charging if full. I leave the battery inside just because in case of a power outage or brief power cut the laptop stays on and does not even bother....
My wife's laptop is on main power all the time. I think the battery has been charged maybe three or four times in the last 7 years. Battery test revealed that the battery is still at 95% capacity (the original one).
Mine however have been replaced twice already in the last 10 years but I used to run the laptop on battery often, not anymore.

Bif

Reaction score
I was under impression that when left on the laptop constantly while being plugged into ac and going through a shut down and boot cycle everyday it's actually trickle draining when off and going through a charge cycle when booted which can kill a battery quicker as there is a limit to their charge cycle..
I may be wrong..

Reaction score
Not from the main battery. The only thing that is powered while the computer is off is the CMOS which is fed either with a large capacitor or a 3V Button cell battery. Even if the main battery supports the off state, the current is so low that is negligible ... its like a 100gal water tank looses a drop of water every day.

Bif

Reaction score
Not from the main battery. The only thing that is powered while the computer is off is the CMOS which is fed either with a large capacitor or a 3V Button cell battery. Even if the main battery supports the off state, the current is so low that is negligible ... its like a 100gal water tank looses a drop of water every day.
Thanks Griz, you've dispelled the myth!..

Reaction score
Maybe I'm old school but I believe laptop batteries et al survive best if they're occasionally worked hard ie fully charge them then run them down, under load, to 20-30%. I'd do that every 6 months.

Reaction score
Maybe I'm old school but I believe laptop batteries et al survive best if they're occasionally worked hard ie fully charge them then run them down, under load, to 20-30%. I'd do that every 6 months.

That is what I used to believe as well, hence the replacement already twice. The last battery I bouoght is now 3 years old and still at 97% capacity and I have it charged only twice so far (running down and recharging)...

Reaction score
Thanks Grizz, I guess battery technology is being tweaked all the time and the new "norm" is not the old "norm", but it's still hard to forget the old maxim "you'll lose it if you don't use it".

Last edited:
Reaction score
Laptop batteries can't take the heat, that's why your owners manual says charge to 60% and store in a cool dry place until required. I'm a firm believer of that after being in industrial electrical maintenance field for 46 years.

This should clear up the grey areas re-batteries.
http://batterycare.net/en/guide.html

FYI Whilst on the battery topic:
I just dumped AVG antivirus off my android phone and downloaded Avira Portable.
I love it, and it also has battery overcharge protection. Most cell phone fires are caused by overheated (charging) batteries.

Last edited:
Reaction score
One thing that your laptops will do is bite onto anything via USB that is still plugged in, I leave my mouse in and it still draws power or at least; I think its the mouse?. :)

WHL

Reaction score
Laptop batteries can't take the heat, that's why your owners manual says charge to 60% and store in a cool dry place until required. I'm a firm believer of that after being in industrial electrical maintenance field for 46 years.

This should clear up the grey areas re-batteries.
http://batterycare.net/en/guide.html

FYI Whilst on the battery topic:
I just dumped AVG antivirus off my android phone and downloaded Avira Portable.
I love it, and it also has battery overcharge protection. Most cell phone fires are caused by overheated (charging) batteries.
Thanks Norton.
I'll run the battery down to half power then put it in the drawer for safe-keeping.

My phone is like me - old but does the job.
It takes calls and text - but my fingers are all thumbs :(

Ask a Question