Office install wants me to repair Office 2003 but I've already removed that program

Reaction score
I purchased a copy of Office 2010. When I attempt to install it, I get the ms "An Office 2003 installation on your computer is corrupted and setup cannot continue. Remove or repair the Office 2003 product . . ." I uninstalled that program but am still getting the message. Can't figure out what to do. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Check around for any directories with Office in their title. Likely in Program Files or Program Files(x86) and delete them..

Ask Google "uninstall Office 2003" You'll find several things that suggest how to get rid of the trash O2003 leaves behind.

Reaction score
Check around for any directories with Office in their title. Likely in Program Files or Program Files(x86) and delete them..

Ask Google "uninstall Office 2003" You'll find several things that suggest how to get rid of the trash O2003 leaves behind.

thanks but nothing seems to work. I have deleted the office program through the add and remove function. But when I try to install the new office, it tells me their are corrupt Office files on board. I'm at wit's end here. Any help would send me over the top.

Reaction score
If you still have the material, I would suggest you reinstall your old office. Then run the repair, even if not necessary, and uninstall it through the approved methods.

Reaction score
If you still have the material, I would suggest you reinstall your old office. Then run the repair, even if not necessary, and uninstall it through the approved methods.
I reinstalled Office via their online repair function and ended up with a functioning version of Office, EXCEPT it needs to be activated with the product code which, of course, I don't have because it came with the machine. So I deleted the newly reinstalled program as you suggest and still cannot install the new version because it tells me I have corrupted Office files on my computer! Yikes, I'm tearing my hair out over here. Incidentally I have used some product code recovery sortware to see if I could find the product code for the old Office hidden in my registry - no soap.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Perhaps look into something like
https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html
Have a look and see what it finds.
Be mindful also that there have been in the past some associated software with some office programs like a viewer and one other package I can't remember the name of currently (something like an office update or upgrade or activation assistant), but it could be something like that, that is causing your issue so have a thorough look see.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I hate offering registry fixes, but, at your own risk, do this:
First export a backup of your registry somewhere safe!!
in Run, type Regedit.
Go into the search facility in the registry, and search for all items labelled "Office 2010", and delete them

This has worked for me, in similar situations, in the past, but, again, be wary of any changes you make in the registry.

Reaction score
Perhaps look into something like
https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html
Have a look and see what it finds.
Be mindful also that there have been in the past some associated software with some office programs like a viewer and one other package I can't remember the name of currently (something like an office update or upgrade or activation assistant), but it could be something like that, that is causing your issue so have a thorough look see.
YESSSS! Revo uninstaller did it. Thank you, thank you. You are The Man, or whatever non-gender-specific superlative we need to come up with would be. And it was those pesky viewer programs that were causing the problem. I could not uninstall them with the regular Win 10 uninstall, but Revo pulled them up by their nasty roots. Forever grateful.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad it seems to have worked for you and that you were able to resolve your issue.
Thanks for posting back with the follow-up info.

I've been known to use Revo from time to time when I get desperate.

Ask a Question