Cannot install Office 2010 on Win 10

Reaction score
Computer: HP 64 bit, 8 gig RAM

OS Win 10

Problem: I bought this computer refurbished. It wouldn't accept the refurbisher's new registration code. (Yes, I entered the correct numbers and letters FIVE times!). The seller claims to be Microsoft approved or something like that.

Then, in yellow letters I see, "skip this part". Hunky dory. I entered name, rank, serial number TWICE before I could complete registration. (It didn't like the first name and email address on the. so I reentered all of the numbers, new name and new email, etc. again). I got it to work. I got online.

Now, I am trying to install Office 2010 on the refurbished machine, and it won't accept the registration numbers saying that they aren't valid. I have a license for three machines, and it installed effortlessly on the first machine (the one that I am using right now also win10). This new machine is NEW as in a month old. I bought it direct from Dell.

It appears that Office 16 is on the refurbished machine, but I'll have to register and pay for it. Will I have to delete Office 2016 before I can install Office 2010?

This is nutty.

Reaction score
For the first time ever Office 2016 had the same Version number for the individual applications within the suite, e.g. Word 16, Excel 16, etc. Previous Office Versions had different application versions, e.g. Office 2013 application versions are 15, Office 2010 apps are 14.

Most OEM-type installations do include a Click-to-Run version of Office which could be Office 2016, Office 365 or an online version they offered. If a client had a copy of Office I just Uninstalled what was offered and installed the clients' instead. I've had success putting Office 2000, XP/2002 and 2003 on Win10 computers, have 2010 on a couple and 2013 on my main machine.

Tip: don't confuse delete with uninstall, both are legitimate functions but deleting a program won't get rid of all the 'extras' an install puts on, especially files in places like the Windows Folder and/or its subFolders.

Reaction score
Bighorn, Thanks. I'll uninstall Office 2016 and see what happens. Thanks for the help.

I don't understand why there's "Skip This Part" on the registration page. Will this come back to bite me in the future when there's some sort of error?

Reaction score
I don't understand why there's "Skip This Part" on the registration page. Will this come back to bite me in the future when there's some sort of error?
There's times that can be handy when setting up a computer and installing software and the clients'/owners' name and usual registration details are not fully known, allows completing it later on.

Reaction score
I had similar problems with Office 2010, it wouldn't let me install it after I did a clean install of Windows 10. When I attempted to reinstall Office 2010 (I don't recall the exact wording.) it said "It had exceeded the allowed activation/installs" or something similar. I installed Free Libre Office that's often mentioned on this forum. I'm very happy with Libre Office, it opens all of the Office docs and XL work sheets that I've created over the years.
icon_smile.gif

Reaction score
When I attempted to reinstall Office 2010 (I don't recall the exact wording.) it said "It had exceeded the allowed activation/installs" or something similar
That can happen, particularly with the Enterprise/Volume Licensing version. Some other versions can be installed, according to the EULA in them, on both a workstation and a portable device in control of the same person. Sometimes one has to use the phone number provided in the message to speak to a Microsoft agent explaining what one is trying to do, I've never been turned down especially after explaining about a computer crash causing the problem.

Ditto/+1 on LibreOffice, have it on all my computers even if Microsoft Office is installed. LO opens a lot of file types, nice to have for my older clients that created recipes in Microsoft Works that was frequently included on the computer by the OEM or Vendor [discontinued with Version 9].

Reaction score
Bighorn I'm happy with Libre Office, at least it's supported and better still it's doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Reaction score
There's times that can be handy when setting up a computer and installing software and the clients'/owners' name and usual registration details are not fully known, allows completing it later on.
Well, it came back to bite me. Before I went to bed, another upgrade came in, so I went to bed. Woke up and can't sign in. It asked me to complete the email address that I gave when I first tried to install the OS. The email address I was asked to complete wasn't even the complete email address, so I tried various ways of completing it. No cigar. I was directed to account.live.com/acsr where I was asked to complete vital statistics (on a separate computer, of course).

I filled in the blanks and BINGO! I get a screen that told me that "We'll send an email to (e-mail address removed) to let you know if you've provided enough information to recover your account. It usually takes us about 24 hours to review the information submitted. If you've already submitted a request, we'll close that request and take a look at this one."

I'm not holding my breath.

Reaction score
Great! In just a few seconds, the genius bot at MS sent me a security code which sent me to another screen to fill out my information which asked me to figure out the jumbled letters which sent me to my email address to get another security code which told me that the code doesn't work, so I tried again and was sent to... now I'm locked out for 24 hours before I can go through the same old rigamarole AGAIN.

What now?

Ask a Question