SOLVED Does uninstalling Office remove documents?

Reaction score
Just to verify, once I uninstall Office 2007 prior to installing Office 2016 or 365, my excel and word docs will remain on my hard drive? The new version of Office will allow those older doc's to be opened in good order?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
When you uninstall Office 2007 it will only remove the application files - it won't touch your documents. They'll still be there after the uninstall.

Office 2016 and/or 365 will be able to open the old file types without a hitch :).

However... what I would suggest is that you make backups. It sounds like you may not have a backup plan in place, and I can't stress enough how important this is. A 16GB USB drive is less than $10 and would mean you can make a backup of all your important documents, etc. An external hard drive is even better, as you can make images of your existing setup - allowing you to roll back to a previous date if a problem happens. A little off-topic, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Reaction score
It sounds like you may not have a backup plan in place, and I can't stress enough how important this is. .
Thanks for the reminder, but yes, I definitely have things backed up. I've got 2 external hard drives plus my laptop.

Ask a Question