Office 2013 wont install

Reaction score
'The Bootstrapper has stopped working'. I have tried many suggested solutions on the NET to no avail. One hint had me looking at Services, where I found that SCHEDULE 'Failed to read description, Error code 193'. Google did not seem to know how to fix that in Win10 - except in relation to disabled Print Spooler - but my Print Spooler service is started. Error code 193 might be irrelevant to installing MSOffice 2013, but then, it MIGHT be relevant.

Regedit32

Reaction score
So you mentioned you tried various ideas on the Net to resolve this issue.

What precisely have to done up to this point?
  • A registry edit?
  • Uninstalled an older version of Office?
  • Uninstalled the failed installation of Office 2013?
  • Tried to install Office 2013 after a Clean Boot of Windows 10?
  • Renamed Microsoft Help folder in the %programdata% to Microsoft Help.OLD?

It would help to know what you have attempted to do before advising what next to do.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Extra info - I also have a Win10-upgrade-from-Win7 and it does not have a Schedule Service - what it has, is a Task Scheduler. It already has a working Office, so I have not tried to install 2013 in it.
Registry edit : I looked for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersionAppCompatFlags but could not find it.
Older version of Office : NO Office had previously been installed in this Win10
Uninstalled failed Office 2013 : NO - no need to, because I'm trying this out on a clone of the source Win10, so new attempts are done of fresh clones of Win10 that have not been contaminated by previous attempts.
Clean Boot : yes tries that, as well as from Safe Boot, and 'as an Administrator', and from C:\
Had not renamed the helpfolder - will do that as soon as I can.

I looked in Event Viewer - which is a very complex program - as best I could and found for a time of 2013 install :
Error: Failed to install product:
C:\MSOCache\All Users\{90150000-00E1-0409-1000-0000000FF1CE}-C\OSMMUI.msi ErrorCode: 1603(0x643).

I've tried MicrosoftEasyFix50450.msi

I have NOT yet tried the following script 'as an Admin' :
@echo off
sc config winmgmt start= disabled
net stop winmgmt /y
%systemdrive%
cd %windir%\system32\wbem
if exist repository.old rmdir /s/q repository.old
rename repository repository.old
for /f %%s in ('dir /b *.dll') do regsvr32 /s %%s
wmiprvse /regserver
winmgmt /resetrepository
net start winmgmt
net start SharedAccess
net start CcmExec

Regedit32

Reaction score
OSMMUI.msi ErrorCode: 1603(0x643

This error is often generated because the WMI service is not running.

• In search box type Services | press Enter
  • Scroll down to WMI Performance Adapter| right click | select Start
  • While you are at it scroll up to Windows Installer and Start that process too

Failing that you may need to try the Script you posted.

Regedit32

Reaction score
If the above hints do not work, try disabling both your antivirus (defender or third party) and the firewall, temporarily, before installing.
P.S. I assume you are using 32 bit to 32 bit, or 64bit to 64bit?
I posted whilst you were posting. It looks like the script to repair the WMI service may be the answer?

Reaction score
Alas, the same error as before. I'll start with a fresh clone, and take all the previous precautions, but add your suggestions. When is it appropriate to run that script - after an error, or before attempting to install ?

Reaction score
I am using 32bit-consistent software. Since it is an experimental, rather than a 'used' system, I am not running an antivirus - and also rarely going on-line. I could not find a firewall to disable when I tried before.

Reaction score
The WMI Performance Adapter was still running afterwards, but Windows Installer had been turned off !

Reaction score
"I am using 32bit-consistent software" And the Office edition is 32bit?
For the firewall. Right click the start button and select the Control panel. The firewall is there.
Anti virus (Windows Defender) is installed by default in Windows 10. If you have not reconfigured anything, it should also be in the Control panel and can be disabled through selecting the icon.

Reaction score
Office is 32bit; Have turned off Firewall for both public and private networks; Windows Defender : "This app is turned off and has not been monitoring your PC". Will try again.

Reaction score
Same error again, but this time the Windows Installer Service had NOT been turned off. I said I would retry with afresh clone, but have not yet done that. When I do I will take ALL the precautions I have accumulated. Should that script be run before installation or after failure ?

Reaction score
Reboot to clear any surplus.
Make sure the two items are, again, off.
Do not Run the script on this first attempt.

If still unsuccessful, repeat the whole thing but, after making sure the two items are off, run the script

fwiw. I have installed Office 2013 many times on Windows 10 ( Pro and Home) without any problems.

Reaction score
"repeat the whole thing but, after making sure the two items are off, run the script" suggests trying to install, then running the script. Surely an attempt to install must be made AFTER running the script ?

Reaction score
Running the script triggered
[SC] OpenService FAILED 5:
Access is denied.
Trhe following services are dependent on the Windows Management Instrumentation service. Stopping the Windows Management Instrumentation service will also stop these services.
Security Center
IP Helper

System error 5 has occurred.
Access is denied.

Reaction score
"Surely an attempt to install must be made AFTER running the script "

Possibly the script has no bearing on your problem. That is why I suggested the alternative of running without the script.
But, frankly, you have a bad OSW installation, or your Office install is corrupt. Is this a CD or from another source?

Reaction score
Where did you download it from the net - free? Do you have a key for it?

Ask a Question