Office 2013 deactivation

Reaction score
Last April (2016) I purchased Office 2013 pro from NerdsforLess and received a product key which I applied to download from MS website. A couple weeks ago this product was deactivated by MS. I could not re-apply product key either over the Internet or by phone. I talked to MS tech support who told me that MS had deactivated my Office software because the product key had been leaked and that the seller (NerdsforLess) would give me a replacement key. Bob, at NerdsforLess, denied he knew anything about the key being leaked (he actually accused me of leaking the key--yeah right, a personal, professional person is going to sell a key as opposed to a large discount reseller!) and refused to refund my purchase price or provide me with a replacement key. My question is: How can MS justify deactivating my product key when I have proof I paid for the product and there is no way to know who leaked the key? MS did not consult me on this and as far as I can tell, did not research the leaking. So how come I get screwed when I played by the rules (paying for a product and properly registering it)? Thank you for any comments.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi dtopa,

Welcome to the Forum.

Unfortunately, because of someone's criminal activity, Microsoft were forced to block the license you paid for to prevent other people using it - with the side affect - you too are unable to use it.

It seems to me though Microsoft have taken your word in good faith and offered you a solution to get a new license.

If the shop is unwilling to do this you ought to contact Microsoft again and inform them, as they will be able to resolve that issue from their end; and failing that ought to be able to give you the opportunity to download a new license key, or if that is not possible for you offer to post you some new disks.

When you consider how easily hackers steal bulk credit card details and predict batch numbers, its just as likely someone with those skills simply predicted your license information so it would be unwise to accuse the Store of this crime, which is just as damaging as you may personally feel that you were accused.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I am very careful if my purchase only results in a key. A good dealer should be able to provide with the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) as well. Without it the key is practically worthless. Its basically the same method a lot of Ebay sellers use to sell Software keys cheap (e.g. when Win 10 just came out). Those are mostly technet or insider keys and have a limited lifespan (I had to learn the hard way too)...

Ask a Question