Remove Offline Files Sync Partnership

Remove Offline Files Sync Partnership

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ian submitted a new article:

Remove Offline Files Sync Partnership - A walkthrough on how to remove old sync partnerships from Sync Centre

Windows 10 comes with a great tool called Sync Centre, which allows you to synchronise folders on a network to your local system. This means that you can set up sync partnerships for important network shares, so that you can always access them when not connected to your network.

However, the major drawback here is that it isn't easily possible to remove sync partnerships once they are created! This guide shows you how you can remove all of your sync partnerships, with a little work....

Read more about this article...

Reaction score
within the powershell shouldn't the command read:-

robocopy source destination /mir

ie

robocopy c:\Windows\csc\v2.0.6\cache c:\erasecrc /mir

I have the cache on a second, data, disc and when I try your command I get the error:-
"2018/11/21 13:12:27 ERROR 2 (0x00000002) Accessing Source Directory c:\erasecrc\
The system cannot find the file specified."

I also note that on my system the cache is actually called "namespace". Is this different. Have you done the same descriptive method for changing the cache onto a separate, ie non c:\, drive?

It took a while but eventually found a method or this elsewhere, it is like this one, involved. Why Microsoft have to always make users take the difficult route I don't know. The reason I am having to clear the cache is a problem where I seem to be able to write to some offline directories but it refuses to let me write to one folder in particular (which I use a lot) that contains many .TMP and ~xxx.xls files. Every time I reset the offline folders I find the original files still in place but yours is the first explanation as to why I have seen.

Interestingly the offline directory on a NAS has global read/write set up for all directories on this portion of the drive and I have also tried to use the "admin" account login to overwrite the files I am trying to, with no success. Hence a desire to start from scratch and see what the problem really is.

Next problem seems to be robocopy trying to copy a "#recycle" directory in the cache. Maybe I need to change the

Reaction score

ie

I have the cache on a second, data, disc and when I try your command I get the error:-
"2018/11/21 13:12:27 ERROR 2 (0x00000002) Accessing Source Directory c:\erasecrc\
The system cannot find the file specified."

I also note that on my system the cache is actually called "namespace". Is this different. Have you done the same descriptive method for changing the cache onto a separate, ie non c:\, drive?

It took a while but eventually found a method or this elsewhere, it is like this one, involved. Why Microsoft have to always make users take the difficult route I don't know. The reason I am having to clear the cache is a problem where I seem to be able to write to some offline directories but it refuses to let me write to one folder in particular (which I use a lot) that contains many .TMP and ~xxx.xls files. Every time I reset the offline folders I find the original files still in place but yours is the first explanation as to why I have seen.

Interestingly the offline directory on a NAS has global read/write set up for all directories on this portion of the drive and I have also tried to use the "admin" account login to overwrite the files I am trying to, with no success. Hence a desire to start from scratch and see what the problem really is.

Next problem seems to be robocopy trying to copy a "#recycle" directory in the cache. Maybe I need to change the

The other question that came to mind was "is it not necessary to zero out the namespace or does the registry command do this when you reboot?"

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score

ie

The powershell command in the article is overwriting the cache directory with the empty folder - it's just a quick way to avoid permission issues.

Did you create the c:\erasecsc folder before running the "robocopy c:\erasecsc c:\windows\csc\v2.0.6\cache /mir" command?

The other question that came to mind was "is it not necessary to zero out the namespace or does the registry command do this when you reboot?"

As long as the computer is reset at each state where it's listed in the article, it should clear caches where necessary :).

Reaction score
The powershell command in the article is overwriting the cache directory with the empty folder - it's just a quick way to avoid permission issues.
Understand. I thought at first it was making a copy. When I tried the former, ie your method, despite creating the directory it came up with an error when trying to complete the robocopy as stated in the first query. When I started to look at the directory in detail I noticed that it (the system?) had created 2 directories with the same name in the root directory of the C: drive (!?).

As long as the computer is reset at each state where it's listed in the article, it should clear caches where necessary
By that I assume rebooted rather than logged off.

I was also wondering whether it is possible to 'exclude' a directory from offline files where it sits within a larger set of directories that one wants to keep 'offline'. Or do I have extract this and leave it on the disc - probably the easiest method. Still wonder about the naming of the cache.

Reaction score
Understand. I thought at first it was making a copy. When I tried the former, ie your method, despite creating the directory it came up with an error when trying to complete the robocopy as stated in the first query. When I started to look at the directory in detail I noticed that it (the system?) had created 2 directories with the same name in the root directory of the C: drive (!?).

I was also wondering whether it is possible to 'exclude' a directory from offline files where it sits within a larger set of directories that one wants to keep 'offline'. Or do I have extract this and leave it on the disc - probably the easiest method. Still wonder about the naming of the cache.

and thanks for the answers.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score

Yep, rebooted :).

I'm not sure if it's possible to exclude subfolders easily. I think it's possible to exclude by file extension though, if that helps.

Ask a Question