SOLVED New install of win 10 doesn't recognise older win 7 drive for dual boot

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

The time is closing in where Developers/programs like Adobe PS are phasing out older O/S for new versions.

I have a great Win7 machine Asus p9x79pro with 32gb ram and 6 hard-drives. In the above event, I thought it would be a good idea to have both Win7 on one drive and Win10 on another drive.

The new Win10 installation went smooth and is activated and up to date. I was hoping when I reboot I would have the option to choose between loading Win7 and Win10, but this is not the case. Reboot goes to Win10.....or if I press F8 I can select the Win7 drive and load that instead.

How do I get the dual boot screen? In the bios, the Win10 drive has a UEFI text over the drive icon and the Win7 drive doesn't.

Any ideas?

Chris

Reaction score
I might be in over my head here but i'll offer a thought anyway. When I had dual boot with 7 & 10 they were both on the same partition
not separate drives. Somebody mentioned earlier that W10 can detect multiple OS's and will provide dual boot option as part of boot manager.

More advanced comments invited and appreciated.

Reaction score
I might be in over my head here but i'll offer a thought anyway. When I had dual boot with 7 & 10 they were both on the same partition
not separate drives. Somebody mentioned earlier that W10 can detect multiple OS's and will provide dual boot option as part of boot manager.

More advanced comments invited and appreciated.

Thank you jmccleary50.

I think if I used the same drive for both O/S things might be different. I might do a test install on an old drive to see if a partitioned drive x1 works on my test rig ( really old Asus P5Q ) - I am curious now :)

I can press F8 to swap boot drives, but, if I am missing something with 2 separate boot drives, I would like to know.

Reaction score
Install second OS on second SSD: Windows Cannot Be Installed To This Disk

I found the above on a yahoo search. There's a bunch of information about multiple OS's there. Run a search on any browser you have with the same search title.

Reaction score
You should have to create another boot meny entry in your bootloader. You can use EASYBCD to make that in easiest way.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone.....

.....I used Bcdboot commands in Win10 Powershell(Admin) to add bcdboot (Win7 drive letter):\windows and all is good now.

Ask a Question