Display goes black ~5m after fresh windows 10 install. Doesn't come back after reboot.

eal

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm quite stuck. Finished my machine build last night, got it to POST ok, and am now having some real trouble trying to install Windows 10. Here's what happens:

- Boot from windows 10 usb
- Install windows successfully (can navigate around and use the system like normal)
- After about 3-10m the screen goes black, I can still see the white cursor for a few seconds, and then the signal drops out and the monitor goes to sleep
- On reboot, I seeing the circle of dots, but then the signal drops and the monitor goes to sleep.
- Boot into safe mode using F8 at startup (I reenabled F8 during the 3-10m it works)
- Safe mode works, but nothing I've tried so far from safemode has made any difference on normal boot. -- no display signal after swirling dots.

Here's what I've tried so far that hasn't worked:

- Run windows update from safe mode --- but my network won't work from safe mode, and the driver install for my ethernet card fails.
- Update drivers from safemode -- most driver installers won't run. And device manager either thinks its got the right driver (chipset) or the install timesout (network card)
- Reinstall windows and Disable sleep/hibernate.
- Reinstall windows and run windows update as the first thing to try to get new graphics card drivers (didn't finish in time)

I'm at a loss at this point. Never had an issue like this on my previous builds.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Evan

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Change your power options to high performance and your advanced power options scheme to look like this
and if you see anything regarding hybrid sleep disable that as well.
PowerPlanMax.jpg

Afterwards if the problem seems to be fixed you may want to revisit the advanced settings and optimize some of them as you choose but for now, kill anything that looks like it might save you a penny on your electric bill.

Reaction score
safe mode should FAIL.
insert media that you originally installed or updated with.
Windows 10 will upgrade it self and that some time you need to do 2 or 3 times.
so that the installation is CORRECT. mostly caused due to HDD not being optimazed. properly
boot to media and chkdsk /f -- fix any if found
--------------------
/F Fixes errors on the disk.
/V On FAT/FAT32: Displays the full path and name of every
file on the disk.
On NTFS: Displays cleanup messages if any.
/R Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information
(implies /F, when /scan not specified).
------------------------------------------

Ask a Question