Display Goes White with Inactivity

Reaction score
Approximately 5 minutes after I stop using my desktop (with build 10162), the screens (I have two screens) go white, no task bar, nothing. I get the start screen when I push the windows key and that's it. I have to restart the pc. As long as I am actively using the pc, this is not a problem. This problem started with build 10159. I have downloaded and installed the latest Nvidia graphics driver. See Pictures uploaded below.

Update: The problem occurs about 5 minutes after the desktop has been inactive. While active the display is good. Am using an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a GTX 980 and if my computer goes into sleep mode with the task bar at the bottom of the screen the task bar is gone when the computer wakes up. Nothing I can do except reboot will get the task bar back. I get around this by putting the task bar on the left edge of the screen and the problem is solved. No idea what happens when the task bar is moved to the bottom of the screen and as with you as long as the I'm actively using the computer the task bar is OK. Try moving your task bar to the left edge of the screen.

Also do you possibly have a screen saver set to activate after 5 minutes? At one time I had a theme installed and I hadn't noticed that there was an active screen saver that was just a black screen. I couldn't figure out why my screen would go black until someone mentioned a screen saver.

Reaction score
Screen saver problem is a good pointer to the possible problem.
But, browsing through the options, I cant really see how it could accidentally have got a white screen?

What about adjustments in the Nvidia Control Panel - Anything there?

Reaction score
20150703_170031 (00000002).jpg
Blank Screens.jpg
Blank Screens.jpg
Blank Screen with Start Menu.jpg

Screen saver problem is a good pointer to the possible problem.
But, browsing through the options, I cant really see how it could accidentally have got a white screen?

What about adjustments in the Nvidia Control Panel - Anything there?
Problem solved with a "clean" install of Windows 10 Preview build 10162

Ask a Question