Getting No Display

Reaction score
I had my HD TV (monitor) connected via my graphics card. I removed the HDMI cable from the graphics card and plugged it into my motherboard instead.

This is because a video editing software program I use, Resolve, apparently uses the on-board GPU if the display port from the nVidia card is used. Instead, I want the display to go through the motherboard, allowing the GPU to do the processing.

But now, after plugging the HDMI cable into the motherboard, I get no signal. An empty display.

Any ideas why? Do I need to change a default display setting to on-board? I dig turn off then on the monitor and computer, but no change.

Thanks.

CPU - i7 6700K
Board - Z170A M3 Gaming
RAM - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM
OS - Windows 10 Pro
GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 1050

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do I need to change a default display setting to on-board?
Yes.
You might have to enter the System Setup Utility (BIOS) and somewhere in there you should find the ability to set your "Primary Display" to onboard or integrated or some such wording.

Reaction score
Yes.
You might have to enter the System Setup Utility (BIOS) and somewhere in there you should find the ability to set your "Primary Display" to onboard or integrated or some such wording.

I did that, but now I'm not sure which GPU is being used for processing (not for output) - the onboard or graphics card 1. I see GPU0 and GPU1 in task manager, but can't tell which is which. How can I know, and how can I make sure the graphics card GPU is used?

Reaction score
It could be that your onboard GPU senses if a graphics card has been installed and shuts down (closes its circuit). I have an onboard GPU and it's plugged into my 43" HD TV. Works fine. I'd go to the board manufacturer's website to see if that's the issue or how to overcome the issue. Is it still plugged into the same TV connection?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
What happens if you use the DVI port instead of the Display port??

Ask a Question