My new HP workstation doesn't display the graphic card vendor name and...

Reaction score
My new HP workstation (I'm using at my job), doesn't display the graphic card vendor name and the chipset information. I tried to obtain it through advanced display information, msinfo32, dxdiag.exe, and a shareware app (name I can't remember). All I get is the this: "Microsoft Basic Display Adaptor". I know that the device is made by nVidia but that's all. I would like to install the proper video driver to take advantage of all the device features.

Reaction score
"Microsoft Basic Display Adaptor"
That usually does mean nVidia drivers haven't yet been installed. However, some firms prefer going with what works to keep users from tampering with the devices. If under warranty contact the brand and/or IT department. It's the old thing about if it works at home it won't necessarily work the same at the job.

A question: Is the video adapter an add-in PCIe 16X card or an adapter built onto the motherboard?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, it is an add-in PCIe device not built into the mother board. Funny you mentioned that companies prefer not having employees tampering with the device drivers. That's exactly how this business operates. LOL. I'll be checking with the IT manager in the morning to have him inquire as to how to obtain the device driver installation DVD. Because there are many other device conflicts.

Reaction score
My new HP workstation (I'm using at my job), doesn't display the graphic card vendor name and the chipset information. I tried to obtain it through advanced display information, msinfo32, dxdiag.exe, and a shareware app (name I can't remember). All I get is the this: "Microsoft Basic Display Adaptor". I know that the device is made by nVidia but that's all. I would like to install the proper video driver to take advantage of all the device features.

Did you look in device manager under display adapter?

Reaction score
Usually on a terminal for a workstation you can't get that info as its disabled and you get a generic value but, try this hardware Info utility called 'HWiNFO' which is a powerful system information utility designed especially for detection of hardware, its on this link: https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php) this will give you the CPU, GPU and all the system info that you will need including frequencies etc if you can install it as installing any software on a terminal is usually not allowed.

Last edited:

Ask a Question